VMware Cloud Community
euphony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM between SANs from different Vendors

Is it possible to setup SRM between two sites if they have SAN from two different vendors? Is there any Site Replication Adapter available in the market which can be installed to replicate arrays between two different SANs?

Is Site replication possible between an IBM DS4500 SAN and Dell MD3000 iSCSI SAN? Probably not, but I want to confirm.

Thanks

RR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ciao

Falconstor Software has a fully vmware supported storage replication adapter for SRM, which allows you to replicate iscsi and FC arrays from almost any vendor...

br,

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lofty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmmm.....

I know you can replicate FC SAN to FC SAN, regardless of make. For example, EMC's RecoverPoint can replicate EMC to IBM Fibre Channel SAN's.

Likewise, you can replicate iSCSI SAN to iSCSI SAN, regardless of make. I'm sure vendors (F5 I think) make an appliance that does it.

As for FC to iSCSI, I'm not to sure.

Thanks Lofty PS. If you found my response helpful, think about awarding some points.
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

I am writing this an EMC employee

EMC has an SRM qualified solution for providing SRM between Storage Arrays of different vendors in the Fibre Channel space.

The solution is called RecoverPoint and deploys a series of appliances that capture writes bound to or from the storage array in a fibre channel fabric, journal these writes and then make them avaialble on the remote site.

If an EMC array such as the CLARiiON which has a RecoverPoint write splitter built in are not available, the capability exists to split writes in the fibre channel fabric deploying intelligent fibre channel swithes from the likes of Brocade and Cisco

Please see enclosed White Paper

Regards

Alex Tanner

Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ciao

Falconstor Software has a fully vmware supported storage replication adapter for SRM, which allows you to replicate iscsi and FC arrays from almost any vendor...

br,

Tom

0 Kudos
euphony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. The reason I asked this is that we will be moving our datacenter to another location where we will get two sites with dedicated circuit between them. At the moment, we have IBM FC san (Production) and Dell MD3000 iSCSI san (testing). When we move our datacenter to anothe location then we get two sites with dedicated link between them. We are thinking of separating the FC san and iSCSI san between the sites to set up SRM.

As I know now the san can be of different make but must be of same type then that means that we have to buy FC san for the site 2 as iscsi san won't be compatible with FC san for SRM.

I am thinking in the right direction?

Thanks

RR

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

...with Falconstor you don't have to buy any new FC SAN, you will be able to implement SRM with your iscsi SAN on one site and the FC SAN at the other. FalconStor Storage replicator for SRM lets you ue almost any FC+iscsi SAN, also those, which are not vmware certified. The Falconstor SRM storage replicator adapter is fully vmware supported.

check out the attached file and also get information from

Br

0 Kudos
euphony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This means that we have to buy this software which is an additional cost. I am sure it will be based on number of agents you install or you just install the SRA as part of the SRM? So, you are saying that there is no built-in SRA in the SRM add-on?

Thanks

RR

0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm in a similar situation, with two different brands of FC SAN arrays and I would like to setup DR with SRM. The FalconStor NSS solution looks very good and the 100% transactional consistency is a big plus. It appears DoubleTake has a software only replication product for VMware as well. Although I didn't see DoubleTake mention any integration with SRM and it only provides 'crash consistent' data, not transactional consistent data like Falconstor NSS claims.

Besides the EMC product mentioned, are there any other industrial strength VI integrated SRM replication products?

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos