VMware Cloud Community
zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM basic question.

Hi everybody,

I am starting to learn VM's stuff so bear with me.

VM1 vNIC 1.1.1.1  Site A   Active site

VM1 VNIC x.x.x.x  Site B    DR site.

Above, we have VM1 at site A ,  we are using SRM to copy VM1's states  from site A to DR site B, VM1 at site B represents replicated VM1 at Site A. The goal is to bring VM1 up   at Site B using SRM if  VM1 at Site A goes down.

Does VM1 vNIC at site B should have the same 1.1.1.1 or it can have  any IP associated with Site B say 2.2.2.2?

Thanks and have a day!!

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @zeebahi ,

It's more a VM requirement depending network availability at Site B. By default, VM will recover with same IP address at recovery site unless you have configured IP customization for this VM to recover with a different IP address.

Customizing IP Properties for Virtual Machines 

Hope that helps.  Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@zeebahi ,

Failover tasks needs to run manually through SRM.

There are options to configure this through APIs or PowerCLI --> Automating Failover with SRM and PowerCLI

Note: I would not recommend as there is a risk of a false positive trigger causing downtime.

ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@zeebahi ,

When you perform a failover of a plan, SRM will attempt to gracefully shutdown all VMs in the plan at the protected site and power on their copies at DR site.

You need to create a protection group and add such VMs together.

For more information about planned migration and disaster recovery, please refer --> Difference between planned migration and disaster recovery 

Hope that helps

7 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @zeebahi ,

It's more a VM requirement depending network availability at Site B. By default, VM will recover with same IP address at recovery site unless you have configured IP customization for this VM to recover with a different IP address.

Customizing IP Properties for Virtual Machines 

Hope that helps.  Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@zeebahi ,

Failover tasks needs to run manually through SRM.

There are options to configure this through APIs or PowerCLI --> Automating Failover with SRM and PowerCLI

Note: I would not recommend as there is a risk of a false positive trigger causing downtime.

zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Appreciated!!

Just another question popped in my mind:

VM1 , VM2 both needs to be protected via SRM, both VMS have  requirement to run together at one location at a time.

So if VM1 goes down, VM2 must also be powered down or vice versa, this will allow DR site to have recovered VM1 and VM2.

Can we do that with SRM?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@zeebahi ,

When you perform a failover of a plan, SRM will attempt to gracefully shutdown all VMs in the plan at the protected site and power on their copies at DR site.

You need to create a protection group and add such VMs together.

For more information about planned migration and disaster recovery, please refer --> Difference between planned migration and disaster recovery 

Hope that helps

zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Much appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@zeebahi 

Moderator: Moved to SRM Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos