VMware Cloud Community
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

SRM and VC 2.5 Update 2

Is the current release of SRM compatible with ESX 3.5 Update 2, VC 2.5 Update 2, and the VI Client 2.5 Update 2? I see from the SRM page that it mentions Update 1. Update 2 was rolled out in production in our shop yesterday - today SRM doesn't work. We have not tried to resintall, etc.

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've not tried SRM with U2 yet. (In fact I don't have access to the U2 source code yet)

So thanks for the warning - if it is incompatiable and therefore we need a patch or a SRM 1.1 release then I will certainly hold off upgrading U2...

So you may have well saved me sometime...

Can I ask in what way is SRM "broken"...?

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

So far, without digging in any logs (mainly because I am not the one that decided to push U2 to production....), is that the SRM service will not start. It does not give any specific error, so from the VI Client standpoint, when you click on the SRM button it gives a message indicating the service or server is unavailable, and then the client locks up. (Something like that anyway - I am at home now, it's midnight, and for some strange reason I checked the company email....). I will report back the specific details when I get to the office on Monday.

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM is not yet supported with U2. U2 support will have to wait for an SRM update. We apologize for the delay.

jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Jay - any ETA that you may be allowed to share for an update to SRM to allow Update2 compatibility?

Regards...

Jamie

0 Kudos
donaldwilkins
Contributor
Contributor

Jay - We are able to run SRM with U2, the only issues we have run into at this time is the IP Customization not working under U2. Our choice to run U2 was due to the tools not working correctly with the U1 versions. The VMs recover and operate fine, just fails to apply the customization profiles. I am not sure if you have already shared any info on U2 support, but if you can it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Donald-

jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Donald - did you have to reinstall SRM after applying U2? In our case, after U2 the SRM service will not start. We have not attempted to reinstall at this point.

0 Kudos
donaldwilkins
Contributor
Contributor

Jay - I believe we upgrade to u2 after SRM was installed. SRM still works in that I have edited and created protection groups and recovery plans. I can do testing of the plans etc.... We upgraded to U2 because the tools installed with U1 continued to report that they were out-of-date for windows hosts. In the hostd*.log files the only problems I am seeing is the following.

0019b9ea56e4/EDI-TRANS-01D/EDI-TRANS-01D.vmx' 22309808 warning] Error retrieving VM tools version: empty string

I think this is contribution to the IP Customization not working as the VMware tools version is not being reported correctly.

I think the issue of the SRM service not starting is typically due to credentials in the DB. Can you verify that the account that the ODBC connection uses works. I remember seeing this issue during the beta earlier this year.

0 Kudos
michaeltsa
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed U2 befroe I installed the SRM, but my problem is I can't create the protection groups. Does anyone know what went wrong?

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you cannot create any protection groups (because the menu option is greyed out) the first play to look is the "Array Manager" configuration wizard on the protected site, skip through the first two screens in the wizard until you reach the third and final screen that shows datastore groups, do any appear? if not you will not be able to create protection groups and need to verify your storage replication setup and also verify the luns/datastores being replicated actually contain VM's

cheers

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think we are going to have to lay off U2 with SRM for the time being...

I've heard the guys in UK, Frimley have it working - but the bottom line is if aint supported it aint supported...

Jay, I understood we would have 1.0.1 release by Dec... is that right? and will the 1.0.1 release be U2 compatiable...?

After last week license time bomb, there will be number of people who will want to defer upgrading to U2 until it seen to be good code base...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

I agree. I think it's unfortunate that the timing for the release of this product and Update 2 were around the same timeframe. My company was advised to install U2 to fix another issue, which it did. Luckily for us, SRM was still in our seup/testing phase, but it has been purchased, and the clock is ticking on the support contract. We have contacted our rep to see if we can get the support contract date revised to match the date when SRM is supported in the latest release of 3.5. We have yet to get that answer. In the mean time we have developed a manual plan for failover and recovery, which I explained to management we should have had all along.

Regards...

Jamie

0 Kudos
michaeltsa
Contributor
Contributor

How can I skip the screens in the wizard brcause if I do not insert correct informations the next tap is grey out.

Thanks, Michael

0 Kudos