VMware Cloud Community
rmagoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM and Lefthand VSA configuration question

I'm looking for some basic info on configuring the Lefthand VSA and the SRA. I have the VSA configured within one management group and two sites with a 2-way protected LUN that's presented to ESX/VC at both sites. The replication on the VSA perspective appears to be fine, and each ESX host is connected via iSCSI to their appropriate iSCSI target.

The issue I'm having is probably within the SRA configuration itself. When I configure the protection side array manager, it asks for two SAN/iQ Manager IP's. I'm assuming that's the IP address for each site within the VSA management group (correct me if I'm wrong). When I connect, it's showing the array ID of within site 1. I check that and click OK, and it's displayed under Protection Side Array Managers. But underneath the Protection Arrays is showing Unknown for the Peer Array with no LUN Count. I feel there's something wrong with this, or within the VSA/CMC configuration. If anyone has experience with these configuration settings, that would be greatly appreciated.

My VSA/CMC Configuration:

One management group with two sites that are routable. There is one cluster that contains two storage modules and one 2-way replicated volume.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

0 Kudos
53 Replies
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That should be totally unrelated to how your snapshots / replication is setup. Simply put, you are not connecting, or authenticating for some reason.

Make sure your adapter version and SAN/iQ version match, SAN/iQ 8 was released recently and has an updated SRA to go with it.

Ping is good.

Sure your username and password is right?

A good way to test out your login is to install the UI for the SAN on the same box, find the SAN by the same IP address you are providing SRM, and login using the same credentials. If that works then your SRA setup should work too.

Adam Carter

Product Manager

LeftHand Networks, an HP company

Adam Carter Product Manager LeftHand Networks, an HP company
0 Kudos
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This post might be related, but he error message should have been more specific about the issue being with versions if so...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1118564

Adam Carter

Product Manager

0 Kudos
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Adam,

I just download everything at the beginning of last week, so I am not using different versions. I have the vsa_esx.zip running on my ESX 3.5 server. I have both VC servers running under Fusion, and my 2 test ESX servers also running under fusion. All ping and communication is working between everything. I just download the latest version of SRM and LHN adapter from VMWare site the other day, so everything is the latest. My esx servers are 3.5U3 and VC 2.5U3 I have no idea what the issue can be. The ip address that I m entering at the ones from the first VSA storage server along with the administrator username and password I setup in the LHN console view. Let me know what you think.

Michael

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am running both VSA's on ESX 3.5 Update 2. I downloaded the latest vsa's this week. I am running Virtual Center 2.5.0.64217.

ESX 3.5 Update2

VirtualCenter 2.5.0.64217

SRM 1.0.0.866

Lefthand SRA 7.0.01.6066

Need any other information?

I can ping everything on the VSA and attach to iSCSI. But I can't get SRM to connect to the VSA.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com
0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I know this might sound very patronising BUT can confirm...

The ESX hosts can see the two VSAs... and format the volumes with VMFS...

That the two VSAs are in DIFFERENT management groups...

and that you using a SCHEDULED REMOTE COPY, rather than any of the remote copy method...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you say the ESX hosts can see two VSA's what exactly do you mean? I can ping them both. I formatted the volume with VMFS. I did not format the volume on the other ESX host because I assume it will come over to the other side exactly as the original one.

I don't mind you asking what seems like the simple things. I have doublechecked everything. The VSA's are in different management groups. It is configured to do a schedule remote copy.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Then you definitely have the wrong version of the SRA.

On Nov 25th the www.lefthandnetworks.com web site was updated to have SAN/iQ 8, UI, VSA, SRM, everything.

VMware's website still have the SAN/iQ 7 SRA as we can't update their site as fast as our own. This is one problem with VMware hosting SRAs off their own website, posting updates to another companies site requires more time.

I apologize for the confusion, we are working on updating VMware's website with the latest SRA. In the meantime you can login to our website and download the latest version there.

Adam Carter

Product Manager

0 Kudos
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By see I'd thin Mike really meant can you connect volumes to the SAN at each site. You are right that you don't have to connect and format the volume at each site, the already formatted and used volume should not be formatted again.

At the main site you must be connecting to the SAN or you have issues way before SRM.

At the remote site... have you connected any volumes,ever, to the SAN? If not I'd create a test volume, connect it, and format it. If that is good then go ahead and delete it. Otherwise you might have a very basic IP configuration issue.

If you can connect to each SAN at each site then you certainly can "see" the SANs.

Other ideas, I really think we need to make sure your SRA is the same version as your SAN. You put the SRA version above (7.0) but what about the SAN/iQ SAN nodes themselves?

Adam Carter

Product Manager

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Then you definitely have the wrong version of the SRA.

On Nov 25th the www.lefthandnetworks.com web site was updated to have SAN/iQ 8, UI, VSA, SRM, everything.

VMware's website still have the SAN/iQ 7 SRA as we can't update their site as fast as our own. This is one problem with VMware hosting SRAs off their own website, posting updates to another companies site requires more time.

I apologize for the confusion, we are working on updating VMware's website with the latest SRA. In the meantime you can login to our website and download the latest version there.

Adam Carter

Product Manager

Can I ask will be LHN still be hosting the older SANIQ8 and the old SRA???

Will the new "SRA" be backwards compatiable with SAN IQ8?

If NO... Then I will want work with the new version of the VSA asap... and update my SRM book to be compatiable with the new version.

I will want to do this ASAP anyway, but have other things on my plate at the moment (Vi4book).,,.., and need to know how desperate this is...

I'm worried that someone reading my book will come a cropper...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The www.lefthandnetworks.com website has both adapters, if you search for SRA or SRM you'll find two adapters, versions 7 and 8.

The version 8 adapter is backward compatible with version 7 SANs.

For your SRM book, the only thing you should have to update is the parts about how to setup authentication for volumes. We changed the "authentication groups and volumes list" concept into a different concept of simply "servers".

Nothing else pertaining to SRM changed to my knowlege. I hope that is not too much impact on your efforts. Your book is a great resource and I don't mean to cause you any more churn than necessary.

Adam Carter

Product Manager

0 Kudos
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Adam,

There is no SRA or SRM on the LHN site. Unless it is in the Product Download section under Service & Support, which then requires a username and password. Please advise.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is under the product downloads section. If you are not a customer or partner of LeftHand you'll have to get someone who is to "hook you up".

Or wait till it is updated on VMware's site. I'll try to remember to update this thread when it is.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Adam Carter

Product Manager

0 Kudos
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

My company is a partner of your but I don't have a username or password, I have been kind of working with Stephan Stelter. Please check your VMware Inbox and I will send you contact information.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I sent you my contact info on the vmware messages.

Not to complain but what is the point of putting evaluations of a product out if they aren't going to put the SRM adapter out there too?

If you can't get me the updated adapter can anyone provide a link for the previos VSA that is compatible with the SRM adapter on vmware's site.

0 Kudos