Contributor

SRM and LEFTHAND SAN does not see SAN replicated volumes

I just setup a VMWare SRM using LeftHand SAN:

Protected site:

2 ESX, LeftHand SAN/iQ SAN

One volume from protected site is replicated using remote copy scheduler

Recovery Site:

1ESX, LeftHand VSA SAN

Each site has it's own VCenter configured.

I followed VMWare SRM installation steps. When I got to the step "configure protected groups" I found out that SRM did not see volumes on protected or recovery sites.

LeftHand manual points that it could be a SRA installation issue and solution could be for example reset SRM services after installing SRA. I tried different options (reinstall RSA etc but that did not resolve the issue. Any advice is appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there a VM configured on the replicated volume? If there is not a VM file that has an OS installed then the SRA will not recognize the volume.

I had a very similar problem when I didn't have a VM on a volume and once I created a VM, replicated the volume, and restarted SRM services everything worked.

0 Kudos
al2020
Contributor
Contributor

On the protected site a replicated volume has 6 VMs configured, total ~ 170GB. The volume itself is 300GB. Also, I used SQL express which was installed during VMWare VCenter installation (I configured a second DB instance for SRM). I don't know if that makes any difference. Also, I first installed SRM and then SRA, but Quckstart SRM VMWare doc suggests another order (all other docs including LeftHand state that SRM should be installed first)

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When you configure the arrays do the volumes show up? If the volumes do not show up during the array configuration then the protection group configuration will not work. has the remote copy completed a successful initial copy?

You may want to go through the array configuration again and make sure the volumes are displaying. Also check to see that reciprocity is established between the SRM sites.

0 Kudos