VMware Cloud Community
hardingp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM + Virtualcenter

It seems that SRM has around the same hardware requirements as the Virtual Center Server.

Is it ok to place these both on the same server. Has anyone tried this? Are there any implications involved?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

We test VC and SRM both on the same and on different systems. It works well in both configurations. Some customers with larger implementations are concerned about load and others yet worry about running two apps on a single Windows instance more generally, but in terms of interactions with SRM and VC, there are no known issues.

Thanks,

Jay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pgifford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM and VirtualCenter do work nicley together, I have set this up a couple different ways in my lab and I have found that I prefer SRM and VirtualCenter together. Keeping in mind that this was in a smaller environment. I don't know if this would be the case with something like 20+ hosts.

Paul Gifford Virtualization Practice Lead | Mainland Information Systems Ltd.
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the VMware Site Recovery Manager forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

We test VC and SRM both on the same and on different systems. It works well in both configurations. Some customers with larger implementations are concerned about load and others yet worry about running two apps on a single Windows instance more generally, but in terms of interactions with SRM and VC, there are no known issues.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As other said it does work acceptably.

I have a couple of concerns about the configuration. I see these as "challenges" rather than show stoppers. Firstly, with a full default installation VC is getting to have a considerable number of roles and jobs to do. Whilst as long as their is enough HW either physical or virtual - I worried about the consequences, especially in creating a single point of failure - for want of spending some extra money on windows licenses.

• VirtualCenter

• WebAccess

• VUM

• VMware Convertor

• VMware Mount Services

In addition I would become concerned about potential software conflicts (there was a conflict between SRM/VUM in Beta/RC4 which I think was resolved). Also if the unforgiveable happens - and you need to reboot your SRM server you have to loss all of these services too...

My other concern is about the network challenges. SRM needs to speak to your storage array - and to the SRM/VC at the "Recovery Site". A stand-alone and dedicated SRM perhaps with more than one NIC might allow for more flexibility in this case - whilst maintaining the security boundaries of your organisation.

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
jmarcos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just for information...

I set an environment with both VC and SRM installed in the same servers, also with SQL 2005 Express in the same machines (It's terrible I know... but the customer is the guilty) !http://communities.vmware.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif!, both VMs. Everything is fine and working with one cluster (2 nodes) in each site, for about 45 VMs and having 6 datastores cross-replicated.

Cheers,

João

0 Kudos