VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

SRM Upgrade

Hi Folks, we are running vSphere/SRM 5.5.x and planning to upgrade infra to 6.0 with latest update. As SRM doesn't direct upgrade to 6.1 from 5.x. We are planning to upgrade vCenter 5.x to 6.0 Update 2 (not supported by SRM 5.x or 6.0) and then perform back-to-back upgrade of SRM 5.5 to 6.0 and then to 6.1.

Just wanted to clarify if the same will work as vCenter upgrade to 6.0 update 2 is not support by SRM 5.5 or 6.0. Or we must have to perform two phase upgrade of vCenter (5.5 to 6.0 and then 6.0 Update 2)?

Thank you!

Hari.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unfortunately that will not work. For SRM to install successfully at 6.0 it will need to have a compatible vCenter version to register with.

To successfully upgrade you would need to upgrade VC to 6.0 GA or U1, then SRM to 6.0, then VC to 6.0U2 and SRM to 6.1

The alternative is to just upgrade VC to 6.0 U2 and then do a fresh install of SRM 6.1. That may be easier depending on how much SRM data would need to be reconfigured...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unfortunately that will not work. For SRM to install successfully at 6.0 it will need to have a compatible vCenter version to register with.

To successfully upgrade you would need to upgrade VC to 6.0 GA or U1, then SRM to 6.0, then VC to 6.0U2 and SRM to 6.1

The alternative is to just upgrade VC to 6.0 U2 and then do a fresh install of SRM 6.1. That may be easier depending on how much SRM data would need to be reconfigured...

0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. In case of installing SRM instead of upgrade, whether SRM extension added to vCenter will upgrade automatically when I connect new SRM to it or is there procedure to detach existing SRM bonding with vCenter? I read somewhere usage for MOB object to unregister extension is depreciated. Please help me with the same.

Thank you!

Hari.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should uninstall SRM prior to the upgrade of vCenter if you are going to reinstall SRM (instead of upgrading it).

haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for all your response. I will plan the upgrade accordingly.

0 Kudos