VMware Cloud Community
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM Service for Site Recover Manager 5.1.2 Starts then stops after initial installation

I have been having the above problem whilst trying to install SRM 5.1 into our environment...

SRM version  VMware-srm-5.1.2-1527967

VCenter version 5.1.0

Vcenter and SRM Server - Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

SQL Server - SQL 2008 R2

Troubleshooting I have already tried

1.) Confirmed 64bit DSN is connecting to db

2.) Confirmed SQL Schema and db username are the same. Schema is default.

3.) Username (which is a windows domain name) has dbo, bulk creator etc rights

4.) Username has Full Local Admin rights on the VCENTER Server where SRM has been installed

5.) Changed the service from local system to the domain name utilised above

The installation completes successully, but the service stops immediately after starting.  The db gets fully populated with all the SRM tables.

I am receiving the rror messages highlighted in this KB

VMware KB: SRM service fails to start and exits with error: Panic: TerminateHandler called

however I can confirm that all these settings are configured correctly...

After attempting about 20 installations trying different options I don't know now how to resolve this issue...  Has anyone come across this issue and can possibly suggest a way to get past it.

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

from the information's above the problem is more likely related to underlying OS or database...

Are you using full SQL 2008 DB or bundled SQL 2008 R2 Express? check how many space left in your database ...

Please post content of vmware-dr-*.log...

Also have a look at this KB article:

VMware KB: SRM service fails to start after Site Recovery Manager 5.x upgrade due to change of authe...

And check if meet all the requirements:

Requirements when Using Microsoft SQL Server with SRM

And check firewall settings if all required ports are open for SRM:

VMware KB: Port numbers that must be open for Site Recovery Manager, vSphere Replication, and vCente...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Helpful or Correct buttons)

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have since attempted another install on another server and the only way I can get this service to start is to give the domain user SA rights to the SQL server..

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos