VMware Cloud Community
GuyTC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM RDM error - failed to connect NFC service

Hi

I am running SRM 4.1 on vSphere 4.1 using replicated XIV Sans. A test failover of SRM produced the following error for a Windows VM cluster. The task was to Recover VM and the Error message = Failed to connect NFC service. This VM is a Windows 2003 3 node cluster using multiple rdm disks in physical compatibility mode. All of the cluster nodes failed with this error message. Why? and how do i fix it?

Thanks

GTC

All other VMs (inc. those in the same protection group as the cluster) failed over OK.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alethay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Guy,

the problem is the DNS of my SRM server, in the log i found

NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer (numRetries=0). Error: Host address lookup for server esx4xxx.xxx.int failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

So my srm server did not resolve correctly the hostname of my ESX hosts.

Hope it's helpful

Ale

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

have you looked on the following suggested solution?

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1702791#1702791

We have XIV storage and physical RDMs work fine. We don't have MSCS.

Have you tried to recover only one cluster node, leaving the other two as unprotected?

Michael.

Alethay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Guy,

the problem is the DNS of my SRM server, in the log i found

NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer (numRetries=0). Error: Host address lookup for server esx4xxx.xxx.int failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

So my srm server did not resolve correctly the hostname of my ESX hosts.

Hope it's helpful

Ale

0 Kudos
GuyTC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the email Ale - you were spot on with your reply - once i sorted out DNS so SRM could resolve ESX hosts the vms with rdms failed over and powered on just fine!

0 Kudos