VMware Cloud Community
mathewdsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM Licensing

Hey guys. I have a question about the SRM Licensing. We are planning to put an SRM Appliance each in a Prod and DR site. Would I be right in understanding that we need a license per appliance and the licenses are not reusable between physical sites.

Additionally what constitutes a VM for this purpose.Let's say I have VM01 in Prod and I am replicating to DR is that just 1 VM. I am asking because if I buy 2 packs of 25 and I have 40 VMs in Prod to protect and replicate to DR do I need a second 2-pack for the DR site as well to cover the replicated VMs? Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @mathewdsa ,

SRM licenses will be for the number of VMs you protect. Same license key can be assigned to both sites as long as the number of protected VMs do not exceed the license capacity between sites.

If you do not have much VMs to protect from DR to prod, then I would suggest using a single license key based on the number of VMs you are planning to protect between sites.

If you have multiple license keys(For ex: 25 VMs and another for 50 VMs), VMware portal lets you combine them as single license key to protect 75 VMs.

Hope that helps. Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@mathewdsa 

Moderator: Moved to SRM Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos