VMware Cloud Community
lloydowen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM Inventory Mappings - Site resources showing as incorrect

Hello there,

Before we begin I am new to 'hands-on' SRM, so please excuse any lack of understanding!  I am using two HP P4000 SAN clusters, both Site-A and Site-B are using vCenter 4.1 and SRM 4.1.0-267817.

I am setting up the SRM interface for the first time and so far have:

>Configured the 'Connection' under 'Protection Setup' and have a status of connected.

>Configured the 'Array Managers' under 'Protection Setup' and have a status of configured.

>Installed the P4000 SRA on both vCenter servers.

>Setup remote scheduled snapshots and completed replication.

In the Array managers configuration I have setup Site-A as the Protected Site (Production)

In the Array managers configuration I have setup Site-B as the Recovery Site (DR)

Finishing this wizard configuration I receive the error that states "replicated volumes could not be matched with datastores in the inventory".  At this point I assume that is because inventory mappings have not yet been setup.

In the Inventory Mappings mappings configuration under 'Protection Setup' you have two columns, Protected Site Resources and second Reconvery Site Resources.  This is the crux of the problem...Site-B (DR) is shown under the 'Protected Site Resources'.

According to the HP P4000 SRA Documentation, "The protection site is the site that is being replicated to the
recovery site for disaster recovery."

Please help, I am bamboozled! :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That is correct

See it a local and remote depending on which SRM/vCenter you are working on.

So Basically if you replicate storage from DR to Production you could do bi-directional failover.

As mentioned, you create the Protection groups on the Production site

You create the recovery plan on the DR site SRM/vCenter

regards

Please award points if you find this helpful or correct Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome to the forums

Make sure you are working on the correct SRM server.

You will setup Mappings and protection Groups on SRM_A, and setup Recovery Plans on SRM_B

On SRM site A - site A will show as protected

On SRM site B - site B will show as protected

It does get confusing especially if the vCenters are in linked mode, but just make sure you are on the correct SRM server and that you connected the correct SRM server to the correct VCenter Smiley Happy

SRM_A to VCA

SRM_B to VCB

Its is easy to mix them around at initial setup, well unless SRM is on the local vCenter

Hope this makes sence

Pieter

Please award points if you find this helpful or correct:smileycool:

0 Kudos
lloydowen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.  Are you saying that inside both of the array managers, comparing the two SRM consoles together, that the Protected and Recovery sites will be the opposite of each other?

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That is correct

See it a local and remote depending on which SRM/vCenter you are working on.

So Basically if you replicate storage from DR to Production you could do bi-directional failover.

As mentioned, you create the Protection groups on the Production site

You create the recovery plan on the DR site SRM/vCenter

regards

Please award points if you find this helpful or correct Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
lloydowen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent, this all makes sense, thank you.  I was working on the recovery site and so that is why the mappings were reversed!

0 Kudos