VMware Cloud Community
Rajat2013
Contributor
Contributor

SRM Integration with Array Based & vSphere Replication

Hi,

Need help to get the confirmation if we could integrate both technologies i.e. array based replication & vsphere replication using  one single vCenter & SRM console. For one of our clients, we are going to use array based replication technology using 3PAR storage array & for HP EVA 6500, we are planning to use vsphere replication. Can we use one single instance of vsphere 5.5 along with SRM 5.5 to manage both of them?

I hope I am able to explain my issue clearly.

Thanks

Rajat

0 Kudos
3 Replies
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not certain I understand the "single instance of vsphere 5.5" question. SRM requires two vcenter server instances and two SRM servers deployed (one at each site). If this is your case, please read below Smiley Happy.

The answer is Yes, this is possible. And Yes, there are caveats.

1. A single VM cannot be replicated with 2 different replication technologies and protected by SRM. This is not the case here, as far as I understand your situation.

2. SRM has different limits when dealing with array-based replication and VR. You can replicate and protect up to 500 VMs with VR.

3. There are certain limitations if you want to use a single console. You can manage both VR and SRM through the SRM Plug-in to the desktop client, however certain VR capabilities are not exposed in it (most notably multiple points in time). If you are OK with using the Web-client to configure VR and the desktop client to configure SRM, you will be able to leverage the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

Director - VMware Site Recovery Manager
0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

yes you can combine them together but you can combine always the same releases.(5.5 vs 5.5 ; 5.1.x vs 5.1.x...etc)

For more info see:

Combined Array-Based and vSphere Replication Protection Limits with SRM

VMware KB: Operational Limits for SRM and vSphere Replication

What's New With vSphere Replication and Site Recovery Manager 5.5 | VMware vSphere Blog - V...

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos