VMware Cloud Community
VMjkasalVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM INstall Error - Failed to update Perl Installation directories.

I am getting an error when I try and install SRM. It gets almost to the end and then an error occurs stating the following.

Failed to Update Perl installation directories.

Details:

Can’t open perl script “C:\PROGRA~2\VMware\VMware”: No Such file or directory

Press Retry to try again or press Cancel to exit installation.

Here are the environmentals:

I am running a Windows 2008 R2 VM with SQL 2008 Ent R1 64bit installed.

1 vCPU,

2GB RAM,

40GB C:,

10GB 😧

Installer used – Vmware-srm-4.1.0-267817

I am installing to “C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\”.

**Note that the difference between the install path and the error path. The installer is truncating the directory path.

I have tried installing to multiple locations including the 😧 and also changing the directory structure names thinking the lengths of the directories had something to do with it. No matter what the directory names are, the installer truncates the path.

I am running the installer with admin privileges (R Click, Run as Admin) and have also tried running the installer in compatibility mode.

I have also attempted to resolve the issue using the suggestion located below with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’ve searched high and low and havn’t found a solution.

Thanks

JKasal

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Try to disable UAC (User Account Control).:

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue..

3.From the Local Security Settings console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then double-click Security Options.

4.Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.

5.Select the Disabled option, and then click OK.

6.Close the Local Security Settings window.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Try to disable UAC (User Account Control).:

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue..

3.From the Local Security Settings console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then double-click Security Options.

4.Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.

5.Select the Disabled option, and then click OK.

6.Close the Local Security Settings window.

HTH

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It looks like you are running the installation from a remote source. If this is true, try copying the SRM install files locally and run from there.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
VMjkasalVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wrong button was pushed, this has not been fixed (Casualty of having a 3 year old)

I tried Disabling UAC and the exact same issue occurs.

0 Kudos
VMjkasalVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried both installing from a UNC and local. Both cause the error.

0 Kudos
VMjkasalVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the failure in the log.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output:

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=0

VMware: Srm::Installation::DirectoryChanger::~DirectoryChanger: INFORMATION: Restored directory. Directory=C:\Windows\SysWOW64

VMware: Srm::Installation::VMInstallCertificate: INFORMATION: Certificate installed successfully.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Launching executable. Command line="C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\external\perl-5.8.8\bin\perl.exe" -p -iBAK -e "s|()||" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\extension.xml"

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=0

VMware: Srm::Installation::VMModifyXmlAdminEmail: INFORMATION: extension.xml modified successfully.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Launching executable. Command line="C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\external\perl-5.8.8\bin\perl.exe" C:\PROGRA2\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\external\perl-5.8.8\bin\reloc_perl -a -i -t C:\PROGRA2\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\external\perl-5.8.8

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output: Can't open perl script "C:\PROGRA~2\VMware\VMware": No such file or directory

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=2

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetMsgFromErrorTable: ERROR: MsiGetActiveDatabase() failed. Trying MsiOpenDatabase().

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetMsgFromErrorTable: INFORMATION: Error message is Failed to update Perl installation directories.%n%nDetails:%n

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetMsgFromErrorTable: ERROR: MsiGetActiveDatabase() failed. Trying MsiOpenDatabase().

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetMsgFromErrorTable: INFORMATION: Error message is %n%nPress Retry to try again or press Cancel to exit installation.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetMsgFromErrorTable: INFORMATION: Error message is VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetInstallerWnd: ERROR: GetMsiProperty(ProductName) failed. Trying alternate method.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::GetInstallerWnd: INFORMATION: Attaching to window with title "VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager"

Next I will test using Win 2k3 R2 x64 and see if the error occurs.

I have now tried on several vms in several enviornments (used different templates) and can reproduce the error everytime.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your post is showing as "answered", so I was under the impression that it was resolved.

Anyway, try this KB.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

VMjkasalVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think this maybe an issue with my templates. A freshly installed OS works.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VMware published new KB addressing your issue:[Installing VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager fails with the error: Failed to update Perl installation directories.|http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1028918]

Probably, you have disabled NTFS short names in your templates.