VMware Cloud Community
Seph8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM Hypervisor Replication Requirments

Hello,

We're currently looking at implementing a SRM solution between or Production and DR sites.

• Currently in our VMware 5.1 environment our ESXi clusters are hooked up to an IBM XIV Gen II via 8GB Fibre Channel.
  • Our two sites are connected via an MPLS link.
  • We do not have any SAN switches capable of FC routing or FCIP, and we're not in a  position to buy any.

Provided that we have Vcenters and Storage available at both sites can we still replicate VMs over the MPLS link via SRM 5's Hypervisor Replication?

Can someone please breifly explain to me what protocol or process exactly SRM is using to replicate VMs if it's not storage level: ie FCIP, iSCSI, NFS, etc. ?

Is SRM Hypervisor Replication essentially "VSphere Replication" without the automation, testing, additional functionality etc ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community -

Provided that we have Vcenters and Storage available at both sites can we still replicate VMs over the MPLS link via SRM 5's Hypervisor Replication?

Yes

Can someone please breifly explain to me what protocol or process exactly SRM is using to replicate VMs if it's not storage level: ie FCIP, iSCSI, NFS, etc. ?

The vSphere Replication appliance contains a vSphere Replication server that manages the replication process.To meet the load balancing needs of your environment, you might need to deploy additional vSphere Replication servers at each site. Additional vSphere Replication servers that you deploy are themselves virtual appliances. You must register any additional vSphere Replication servers with the vSphere Replication appliance on the corresponding site.'

Is SRM Hypervisor Replication essentially "VSphere Replication" without the automation, testing, additional functionality etc ?

I am not sure whay SWR Hypervisor replication is - so I would assume it is referring to vSphere Replication

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Seph8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Just one more question to clarify the solution.

Essentially, using SRM with VSphere/hypervisor replication would mean purchasing the SRM product and licenses which would facilitate Recovery Plans and non disruptive Testing. Additionally,instead of using storage replicators, it would use a number of virtual appliances built into the product at no extra cost, to perform the replication between sites?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct - 

0 Kudos