VMware Cloud Community
paul-bogodynami
Contributor
Contributor

SRM Guest IP changes......

I would like feed back on the following idea.

SRM covering mission critial systems, replication of volumes for these systems. Infrastructure server, DC / DNS / ETC to be local to each site., not covered by SRM.

For every VLAN used enable DHCP helpers for both sites, for each site the local infrastructure has a DHCP scope for each VLAN, with reservations for all local servers AND SRM covered server, per VLAN, per scope. All other IPs in the pool have sudo reservations created as 99:99:99:99:99 etc. Ensuring no addresses can be issued unless by an admin!

All local infrastrucure servers run DHCP one scope per VLAN. When the site fails over the MAC address of the SRM covered server remains the same, DHCP takes care of the DNS updates and the IP change on the guests, for the recovery site.

DC's are LOCAL and are not covered by SRM, but do have reservations within these NON-USER Vlans to ensure the IP remains the same.

What do you all think? I hope this is clear.

Paul

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

so basically you want to use DHCP reservations to handle the ip address change at the recovery site? this will work with virtual machines. I assume you are using statically assigned MACs for each of the VMs? the MACs will not likely ever change but usually customers using DHCP reservations in this way will statically set the VM MAC addresses.

another consideration is that we are about to release SRM Update1. One of the new features of Update1 is something called the "batch ip" tool. this tool allows you to specify IP properties (network settings) for any or all of the virtual machines in a recovery plan by editing a comma‐separated‐value (CSV) file that the tool generates. Initially, this file includes a single row for each placeholder virtual machine in the plan. You can edit the file to add a row for each network adapter in each placeholder virtual machine and then customize the network settings for each adapter. When you are finished, you use the edited file as input to a command that creates customization specifications for the placeholder virtual machines.

you can add scripts to your recovery plan to then make the ddns calls you need.

as with a lot of DR networking their are multiple options. its a matter of seeing what works well with your infrastructure.

Best Regards,

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
paul-bogodynami
Contributor
Contributor

I didnt know that, yet I take it this will leverage the Vi / Powershell side of things to change the IP config on the guests?

The premis behing the idea is good or bad? I can see some floors, yet it seems to be the most dynamic soultion, as when a servier is provisioned and added (if required) to a plan, the change control process will insist that you create a reservation........

What is the release date of U1 for SRM?

many thanks for the info in advance.

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the tool uses guest customization but allows you to make all the changes you want in the CSV file and then upload that file into SRM and SRM will then carry out the recommendations in the file in terms of networking.

DHCP reservations with VM's work so from that side your covered. I guess we don't see it used as much as a lot of customers simply do not allow DHCP on their production server networks/vlan, this is why the batch ip tool will be a big plus.

as with everything "legal" these days we, well I, cannot give out release dates before they are official but it should be v.soon Smiley Happy is about all i can say on a public forum.some of the SRM product managers review this forum so if they are able to they may be able to pass on something more specific.

hope that helps

best regards,

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
paul-bogodynami
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks,

now where is that release date;)

paul

0 Kudos
dagterberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lee,

Are there more new or enhanced functionalities in SRM update 1 that you can tell us about?

Regards,

Dennis

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"The Rumour Mill" is saying that we will have U1 Xmas Present 😄

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick