VMware Cloud Community
AWahlert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM Failback

Hi List,

we plan to purchase VMWare SRM. On Site A (primary Site) i have to cover 2 ESX Hosts (VI Server is available) with 2 sockets per server. On Site B (recovery Site) we have 2 ESX Host and there is a VI Server available too.

If i understand the licensing correctly, it's possible to cover the site A with four SRM licenses and in the case of desaster SRM helps me to switch back my VM's to Site A. Ist this correct or must be the Switchback made by Hand in this Case??

kind regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That's right. The T&C of the EULA allow you to move your SRM licenses to the DR location, in the event of triggering DR for real.

You do this to use SRM to facilate the fail back proceedures.

You only need two sets of SRM licenses for a bi-directional configuration. Where SiteA offers DR to SiteB, and SiteB offers DR resources to SiteA...

Basically, its a trust model. VMware trusts you not to abuse the SRM licenses in SiteA by using it all the time in SiteB...

Remember the real "cost" of licensing for the DR location in your scenario is the cost of licensing the 2nd VirtualCenter, and the ESX hosts in the DR location when they affectively do "nothing" until DR is triggered. Some would say that's a rather expensive insurance policy, but compared to physical DR it still represents significant cost saving to the busines...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That's right. The T&C of the EULA allow you to move your SRM licenses to the DR location, in the event of triggering DR for real.

You do this to use SRM to facilate the fail back proceedures.

You only need two sets of SRM licenses for a bi-directional configuration. Where SiteA offers DR to SiteB, and SiteB offers DR resources to SiteA...

Basically, its a trust model. VMware trusts you not to abuse the SRM licenses in SiteA by using it all the time in SiteB...

Remember the real "cost" of licensing for the DR location in your scenario is the cost of licensing the 2nd VirtualCenter, and the ESX hosts in the DR location when they affectively do "nothing" until DR is triggered. Some would say that's a rather expensive insurance policy, but compared to physical DR it still represents significant cost saving to the busines...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
AWahlert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks Mike or the quick reply.

i totally agree with you. I have to cover my primary site and i guess when a desaster happens, it happens at 1 o'clock AM. And at this point i need any help that i can get Smiley Wink

kind regards from vienna

Andreas

0 Kudos