VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

SRM - Excluding OS datastore from replication

Hi Folks,

I got a requirement like for one of the application i have to exclude OS datastore from replication after the initial replication to secondary site.

So first I want to know is it possible to exclude OS datastore from replication to secondary site as VMware SRM (through SRA) controls the replication?

If it is possible is it recommended to exclude the OS datastore from replication?

NOTE:

OS datastore shall be replication later when some manual changes is commited in DC (like patch update, application changes, etc.)

Thanks in advance..

--

Regards,

Hari.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I got a requirement like for one of the application i have to exclude OS  datastore from replication after the initial replication to secondary  site.

Are there any other VMs on that datastore that need to be protected?

So first I want to know is it possible to exclude OS datastore from  replication to secondary site as VMware SRM (through SRA) controls the  replication?

You need to stop / unconfigure the replication of the LUN manually on the storage array. SRM can only "see" what LUNs are replicated and stop the replication when doing a failover.

What you can do to protect that VM is to start "Configure Protection" wizard and on storage options screen select the non-replicated VMDK and mark it as detached. This will allow you to complete the wizard despite the VM has non-replicated disk. But take into account that in case of failover  / test recovery you will have to manually present the datastore to the hosts and attach the OS VMDK to that VM.

If it is possible is it recommended to exclude the OS datastore from replication?

Of course it cannot be a common recommendation. What about application settings / OS settings / event logs / some other things? Do you want to replicate the datastore manually every time something is changed in OS?

What is the particular reason to not replicate the OS?

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I got a requirement like for one of the application i have to exclude OS  datastore from replication after the initial replication to secondary  site.

So first I want to know is it possible to exclude OS datastore from  replication to secondary site as VMware SRM (through SRA) controls the  replication?

You need to stop / unconfigure the replication of the LUN manually on the storage array. SRM can only "see" what LUNs are replicated and stop the replication when doing a failover.

What you can do to protect that VM is to start "Configure Protection" wizard and on storage options screen select the non-replicated VMDK and mark it as detached. This will allow you to complete the wizard despite the VM has non-replicated disk. But take into account that in case of failover  / test recovery you will have to manually present the datastore to the hosts and attach the OS VMDK to that VM.

Of course it cannot be a common recommendation. What about application settings / OS settings / event logs / some other things? Do you want to replicate the datastore manually every time something is changed in OS?

What is the particular reason to not replicate the OS?

Michael.

0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi.. Thank you so much for your kind response...

-No.

You need to stop / unconfigure the replication of the LUN manually on the storage array. SRM can only "see" what LUNs are replicated and stop the replication when doing a failover. - SRM fully manages the replication (like start, check status, stop) using SRA? Also please clarify whether SRM at DR needs to communicate with any of the VMware server (like DC SRM, vCenter, etc) at DC during failover?

Of course it cannot be a common recommendation. What about application settings / OS settings / event logs / some other things? Do you want to replicate the datastore manually every time something is changed in OS? - Yes we replicate it through Mirror View when any manual changes commited.

What is the particular reason to not replicate the OS? -My client feels if some OS/application level corruptions happends the same will also get replicated to DR (as Mirror view is configured to Synchronous replication). So they planning to replicate working copy OS LUN frequently to DR manually when some changes commited.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

SRM fully manages the replication (like start, check status, stop) using SRA?

Actually, SRM has a limited control over replication. These are functions of SRA:

SRA.png

So, it cannot start replication, for example.

Also please clarify whether SRM  at DR needs to communicate with any of the VMware server (like DC SRM,  vCenter, etc) at DC during failover?

To be able to initiate a failover process, you don't need your protected (primary) site to be available. At DR site you must have SRM and vCenter up and running. Of course, you need Active Directory and DNS for authentication and name resolution. Depending on the environment you may need other infrastructure servers, like DHCP, central DB, etc.

Michael.

haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thank you so much bro...

0 Kudos