VMware Cloud Community
Josephvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM Error at step "Change Recovery Site Storage to Writeable"

Hello, I am having issue with SRM 5.5/ IBM V7000 storage.

I managed to recovery/protect/fail back with first LUN but having issues with second LUN.

Setup:

Site A- TestVM01 - LUN01,LUN02- Protected site

SiteB- LUN01_REC,LUN02_REC Recovery site.

When I run test Recovery plan, it was successful but while doing actual recovery, it fails with following error message at step "Change Recovery Site Storage to Writeable". Any help appreciated.

Error - Failed to recover datastore ‘LUN01_R. VMFS volume residing on recovered devices '"2"' cannot be found. Unable to resignature VMFS volume ‘LUN01_R (53ebf497-c0a5585c-871a-40788dh29sjs9). If this problem persists, please enable the SRM Advanced setting 'storageprovider.autoResignatureMode' and then retry the operation.

Thanks, Jo http://virtualcloudzz.blogspot.com.au/
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello, this error become from that you have the recovered LUN attached to the second/recovery ESX host and you can't attached it to ESX again using Failover/Failback because its already there. Solution is to 'Enable' storageprovider.autoResignatureMode from the advanced settings for the recovery SRM server. This will change signature of the LUN and SRM can attach it to host during the Failover/Failback.

Hope this help,

Daniel G.

0 Kudos
Josephvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Daniel but I already tried that solution. No luck.

Pain is, I can't revert back the recovery job. and protected datastore is already detached from ESXi host at protected site

More info:

- After above error I checked the status, protected datastore is detached from ESXi host. When I tried to reattach ( Add Datastore), I cant see datastore.

- Protected Datastore is mapped to protected site ESXi host in storage GUI console

- At recovery site, when I try to add recovery daatstore manually to recovery site ESXi host, no luck. If I select "Keep existing sign" and click next and OK, it just disappears, nothing happens. Then I tried "Assign a new signature", it fails with " An unknown error has occurred."

- So it seems there is some issue  to mount datastore at recovery site.

Thanks, Jo http://virtualcloudzz.blogspot.com.au/
0 Kudos