VMware Cloud Community
bstuart
Contributor
Contributor

SRM Error Configuring Inventory Mappings

I am configuring a new install of SRM 4. Everything has moved along fine, until now when I try to create an inventory mapping for a volder with virtual machines in it. The VM's are in the protected filesystem that I am replicatiing. When I choose the protected folder, choose configure and choose the recovered VM's folder, I get the error "Access to perform the operation was denied"

I was able to create inventory mappings for networks and compute resources.

-Ben

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bstuart
Contributor
Contributor

To resolve my issue with Inventory mappings, it turns out you need to include domain\username when connecting the two virtual centers (I am using credential based auth)...

Passing that hurdle allowed me to create a protection group and a recovery plan.

Testing of the recovery plan has resulted in an error right off. The SRM logs don't show anything and I am wondering where I should look to start to debug. Attached is the screen shot of the results of a test run.

0 Kudos
daemonchild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're on the right track with your previous solution I believe. When you're connecting from SRM server to the vCentre and SRM to SRM, you must use the domain\username format. I've found not doing this to cause problems exactly like you're seeing in your screenshot. It's particularly weird when you have used the domain\username format for one set of credentials and the non domain version for the other.

To fix it, you might be best to break your connection and remake it. This will give you the opportunity to reset your authentication properly. When I last taught a course on SRM, we saw this a few times. (I teach the SRM course on v4.0 even though the VMware courseware is still v1.0).

Bon chance!

---

VCP, VCI, MBCS CITP

- VMware Geekiness Smiley Happy

--- VCP, VCI, MBCS CITP http://www.daemonchild.com - VMware Geekiness 🙂
0 Kudos
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hit the exact same problem initially, and indeed you must preface the account name with domain\. I worked with our VMware SE to resolve it but only after working with a consulting group to find the fix. For some reason, this is not documented anyware. My SE said she would try to get it documented.

0 Kudos