VMware Cloud Community
vincedoepker
Contributor
Contributor

SRM & Equallogic, what have your experiences been?

We are seriously considering implimenting SRM to help meet some new business continuity/DR requirements. Currently we have a small'ish VMWare deployment with 6 hosts (Dell Blades) running on a 4-chassis Equallogic group that is comprised of a mix of chassis (PS 6000, 5000e, 4000, and a PS100.) The PS100 is going to be sacrificed shortly to the DEV/TEST gods and won't play into the longer-term implimentation of SRM. All of this runs about 100 VM's ranging from heavy hitters (databases and Citrix) to the low-end VM's like lightly loaded webservers. We have 100Mb, fiber-based connectivity between the sites in question.

Looking for any comments that are based on experiences implimenting/running SRM using the native Equallogic replication - any gotcha's, any advice, if you could do it over again would you do it differently, and how does Equallogic chassis-to-chassis replication stack up against other SRM replication alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance for any advice Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello there,

I think it is important to add that EqualLogic is on the VMware HCL so that implies certain things - like it works, and you can get support for it!

I can also say that we ran EqualLogic storage arays inside of our Big Red Truck and I set up SRM with them and it was smooth and easy.  Very impressive.  I also like the UI of the EQ gear and found it relatively easy to work with.

As with many things, make sure the features of the storage you are looking at match the features you need!  Look for things like VAAI support, plug-ins for vCenter, SRA availability when you are looking at a new storage array.

Michael