VMware Cloud Community
cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

SRM, EMC CLARiiON SRA Test Failover snapshots missing

Hi,

I've set up a simple test environment with a single VM, datastore etc which worked fine, I'm now testing a failover with about 19 LUNs and about 50 VMs.

vCenter 1.01 patch 4

SRA Clariion v1.3.0.4

2 x VCs servers

2 x SQL servers

2 x CLARiiON SANs

Mirrorview configured and SANs replicated,

Snapview configured for each LUN with VMWARE_SRM_SNAP

Setup looks fine, My problem is that when I hit test, the storage gets mounted to my recovery site, but about 5 of the LUNs are missing...?

SRM conifiguration looks fine...

Any suggestions? I've uploaded the logs and look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Craig.

Craig Waters | vExpert | Melbourne VMware User Group Leader | website: craigwaters.org | twitter: @cswaters1
0 Kudos
11 Replies
BobbyTPI
Contributor
Contributor

What are the names of the Datastores that are missing?

Double check that all the Snaps are added to the Storage group on the SAN at the recovery site. just in case you've missed them at all.

0 Kudos
cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

mmm. One thing I have just noticed is that all the snapshot LUNs that fail to mount are all on SPB of the CLARiiON array. Interesting.

Craig Waters | vExpert | Melbourne VMware User Group Leader | website: craigwaters.org | twitter: @cswaters1
0 Kudos
BobbyTPI
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Nothing wrong with the fabric zoning? I imagine that'd all be setup OK, assuming you have other LUNs on SPB already that are presented successfully to the ESX servers?

cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply BobbyTPI,

Yes, I don't get it, everything looks fine, the same config with a simple implementation which works fine, I've even checked that the snapshots are created in the reserve LUN pool on the SAN (which they all are) there just seems to be an issue when presenting them to the ESX hosts.

I've looked at the HLU's for each LUN/snapshot until I'm blue in the face, no config issue there, theres about 19 MetaLUNs/LUNs and 19 snapshots...

Any suggestions anyone?

0 Kudos
cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to provide the solution to this.

I noticed that the SCSI Target 0 for each ESX hosts only listed a single path, so I looked at the FC Zoning configuration but all looked fine...

Basically the SPB was the answer, the ESX hosts are configured with a single HBA in this POC, for some reason the path to SAN port B-5 was assigned to the management LUN only, I edited the Host Connectivity Status, selected SP-Port B5 and hit the reconnect button.

I then went to the ESX host in VC and rescanned all LUNs, this fixed the problem, both SCSI Targets listed all paths to all (Meta)LUNs / Snapshots.

All good, thanks to those who viewed / replyed to this post.

0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you installed the latest clarIIon SRA, you get a free amazing bonus,

an EMC software called Mirrorview Insight Viewer", this Graphical tool shows you if your luns have been created properly,

if they are being replicated and it also gives you an automated SRM FAILBACK!!

Itzik Reich

Solutions Architect

VCP,VTSP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSE,CCA,CCNA

EMC²

where Information Lives

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos
cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

We're using VI3.x, solution enabler 6.5.30 and SRM 1.01-patch4 as I understand it the new Mirrorview SRA 1.4.0.15 you refer to is only compatible with vSphere and SRM 4.0?

Can someone comment on this / provide clarity?

Thanks,

Craig.

0 Kudos
cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is... Just found the following - could be of use to others, here is the link for EMC's release notes for Mirrorview SRA 1.4.0.15.

If you don't have access then get in contact with your local EMC rep and ask why?

Thanks,

Craig.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just tried that link. Logged in with my PowerLink login and got...

and got;

"Access Violation

The content you are trying to access is unavailable. This content may have expired, the link may be incorrect or you may not be entitled to access it with your account. Click here to return to the Powerlink home page.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

Regards

Mike Laverick

RTFM Education

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk

Author of the SRM Book:http://stores.lulu.com/rtfm

Free PDF or at-cost Hard Copy

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
cswaters1
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I'm really surprised about that, normally when I post these links they are good Smiley Happy

Seriously, only because its you Mike I've enclosed the file below (this is from a Northerner from Cleethorpes living in Melbourne, Australia).

Cheers,

Craig,

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I reckon the link is good, but my powerlinks is bad.

I'm not a customer. One thing that irratates about some vendors sites, is their logons don't always expose ALL the docs that available.

Ironically, I'm able to download PowerPath for VMware, but I'm not allowed with my powerlinks login to download the docs. Go figure...

Regards

Mike Laverick

RTFM Education

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk

Author of the SRM Book:http://stores.lulu.com/rtfm

Free PDF or at-cost Hard Copy

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos