VMware Cloud Community
regnak2007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM / DC Question

Hi Folks,

I've a questions around the use of SRM / Domain Controllers you might have ideas on that could help me out:

We have a protected site:

2 x DCs; 1 x Exchange 2003 server; 2 File servers; misc other web servers, ISA Server etc

In the Recovery Site I'd like to bring all the VMs online in a real failover but the DCs have me worried. If the ASync replication is only once every 24 hours, the DCs will be way out of date and I could get USN rollback issues or worse. I could build a dedicated DR DC on the subnet down there but I'll need to point Exchange and the other servers DNS entries at this DC when they failover.

Any thoughts on how best to provide Active Directory services between the sites? Just wondering in a situation where there are multiple AD Sites with DCs and we fail over the one we're protecting, how do we ensure we don't break anything in AD! Do I leave the DCs behind or take them with me when I failover, then for failback how do I handle that?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a similar thread where there seemed to be group concensus. Let us know if you have follow-on questions.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/995629

Thanks,

Jay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a similar thread where there seemed to be group concensus. Let us know if you have follow-on questions.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/995629

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
regnak2007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Jay!

Answered in 2 minutes !! Cool !

I went back a few pages in the threads but should've searched, apologies to the forum and Thanks to Jay to pointing me in the right direction.

I'll probably go with a dedicated virtual DC in the Recovery site and Clone it into the test bubble as you suggested to test the IP changes work for the other VMs (point DNS to IP of this DC which will be a different subnet to Recovered VMs). In a failback we'll need to document building 2 new virtual DCs for the client.

Mike

0 Kudos