VMware Cloud Community
henshawp
Contributor
Contributor

SRM Customize the Recovery of an Individual Virtual Machine - Join Domain

Hi

We are in the process of  designing our DR environment for use with SRM, and certain business  requirements will mean we have a different domain out in the Recovery  Site.

Can  someone please advise if it is possible to join a VM to a Windows  domain during the Recovery process of an Individual VM? I understand  that there are a number of ways one can change the IP address of the VM,  but have read nothing of the possibility to join a domain.

Does  the SRM recovery process just use the standard guest customisation  wizard usually used with deploying VMs from templates? Meaning it is  possible?

I have look on the web for this information, but have not found anything yet.

Any advise much appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

SRM customization process can only change network settings of guest OS (IP, DNS servers, etc), it cannot change other things available in custom specification.

You will need to create custom scripts to change the domain membership and run them as part of the recovery plan.

Michael.

henshawp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Michael

That being the case, I will look to join the machines to the domain using net dom command.

I am curious to see how joining a machine to the domain will hold up the the recovery process, I take it that the recovery process can continue on with its steps while the machine joins the domain, and there for not waiting to get a completed result back from the command that was sent.?

Has anyone out there using SRM, needed to join their machines to a domain on the recovery site? I am curious to see the steps they took in the progress and any scripts etc.. obviously a restart of every machine joining the domain will increase recovery time, but with only about 75 VMs needing to be restarted, I do not imagine this takign a long time if it is done concurrently. Once joined to the domain, I will need need to run some custom scripts further on a numebr of VMs.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

If you run your scripts as part of recovery plan, SRM will wait for scripts to complete and won't continue , thus increasing recovery time.

Michael.

0 Kudos