VMware Cloud Community
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

SRM Book Reviewers

Would you like to review (technically not for typos) my SRM book.

I'm very close to finishing - but haven't much feedback from my existing group of reviewers... mainly because they are so busy with other work - not least VMware.

I'm really looking for people who know the product pretty well, and so read my book for clarity and accuracy...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
21 Replies
twelly822
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike,

We're trying to set up a DR site by following your guidelines in your book. So far we were able to install the SRA and got it working with the netapp simulator. We also configured the SRM on each side (protection & recovery site) but we are stuck in configuring the Array Manager and Protection Group. In your book you don't have screen shots for Array Manager and Protection Group at the recovery site. We are not sure if the IP address we use for the Protection Site is the netapp's IP address at the recovery site since we are configuring the recovery site's SRM. Also, at the recovery site for some reason we are unable to create protection group since it is greyed out.

Also, we're looking for a sample recovery plan for a real world failure scenario in which the Protection Site is totally down. How do we configure the recovery plan on the Recovery Site and how do we initiate the recovery process? In the given examples you always initiate the recovery process from the Protection Site (assuming the link between Protection Site and Recovery Site is still up).

I would appreciate if you could point me to certain sections in your book that will resolve our current issues in case we missed them.

Regards,

Wilson

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

See my inline

Hi Mike,

We're trying to set up a DR site by following your guidelines in your book. So far we were able to install the SRA and got it working with the netapp simulator. We also configured the SRM on each side (protection & recovery site) but we are stuck in configuring the Array Manager and Protection Group. In your book you don't have screen shots for Array Manager and Protection Group at the recovery site. We are not sure if the IP address we use for the Protection Site is the netapp's IP address at the recovery site since we are configuring the recovery site's SRM. Also, at the recovery site for some reason we are unable to create protection group since it is greyed out.

The book begins with a unidirectional configuration. Were the Protected Site has the Array Managers and Protection Groups, and the Recovery Site has the plans. It was a simple configuration to get started with. Later on in the book in Chapter 8 i cover bidirectional configuration. I kept it brief because once you have done a unidirectional configuration, a bidirectional configuration is VERY similiar - the only difference is that you don't have to pair up the sites because that's already been done. Remember Protection Groups are created where the VMs are that you want to protect.

Also, we're looking for a sample recovery plan for a real world failure scenario in which the Protection Site is totally down. How do we configure the recovery plan on the Recovery Site and how do we initiate the recovery process? In the given examples you always initiate the recovery process from the Protection Site (assuming the link between Protection Site and Recovery Site is still up).

In Chapter 9. I cover an number of different failover and failback process. There early runs of the recovery plans in the book - are there to get you up and running as quickly as possible (although it might not feel that way). Chapter 9 covers running a recovery plan when its planned DR event and also when it is unplanned. I.e the Protected Site is dead. Page 264

I would appreciate if you could point me to certain sections in your book that will resolve our current issues in case we missed them.

Hopefully with the two referrences above I've done that. Happy SRMing! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Wilson

Regards

Mike Laverick

RTFM Education

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk

Author of the SRM Book: http://www.lulu.com/content/4343147

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos