VMware Cloud Community
Laiya89
Contributor
Contributor

SRM Bi-Directional Protection Licensing

Hey all, need some insights on licensing for bi-directional replication with SRM 8.4.

Lets say we have 2 sites; X and Y. I need to enable bi-directional protection for VMs in both sites.

1. Site X has VMs a, b, c and replicated to site Y using SRM.
  2. Site Y has VMs p, q, r and replicated to site X using SRM.
  3. If site X goes down, VMs (a,b,c) in site Y will power up and used. Same if site Y goes down.
  4. When site X comes online, VMs (a,b,c) should reverse replicate from site Y to site X. and a,b,c VMs in site Y will powered down. 

To cover above scenario, how many SRM license will needed?

If I buy a single SRM Standard license (25-pack), will it be possible to bi-directionally protect all VMs (a,b,c,p,q,r..) in both sites by assigning same license to both sites? Or do I have to buy 2 SRM Standard license for both sites?

If I can assign same SRM license to both sites, Do vCenter server be in linked mode?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Laiya89 ,

SRM 25 pack license will enable protection for 25 VMs using SRM. Yes, you can assign the same license at both sites as long as the number of protected VMs between sites is not more than 25(Site A + Site B = 25 VMs)

Hope that helps

Laiya89
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Please let me know whether do I have to keep vCenter servers in linked mode to assign same license key to both  sites?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vCenter servers can be standalone or linked mode. There is no requirement to have them in linked mode to use SRM.

Laiya89
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You  ashilkrishnan

0 Kudos