I have completed an installation of SRM at two seperate sites and have managed to pair the two sites using the SSO Admin account. However, when I log in with my user account witch has admin rights at root level I get a connection error when accessing SRM in the webgui.
Next thing I tried was assigning the SRM Administrator role on the site wile logged in with the SSO admin account. Yet when logging back in with my user account which is now SRM admin on the site I get same permissions error.
Has anybody experience this and gotten around it?
At this point SRM root. I left my account on the administrator role on the vCenter root at both sites as I need admin privileges for day to day tasks.
I also cross referenced all the permissions between the admin and SRM admin role and found that the normal admin role has all the same permissions as the SRM admin role but the SRM admin role does not have all the same permissions as the VC admin role. So theoretically having full admin permissions at VC root level should enable me to administer SRM as well as it propagates down. Key word there being should.
The proof however would indicate that this assumption is incorrect. Hence having tried applying SRM admin role on each site object.
'Administrator' and 'SRM Administrator' are two completely different roles and 'SRM Administrator' does not allow a subset of permissions that you might expect. The correct permission to apply for your Admin user is 'Administrator', both at the VC level and for SRM.
You will need to log in with SSO admin account to assign the permissions correctly. They will need to be assigned at the vCenter level (propagate to children) and then separately in SRM.