VMware Cloud Community
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

SRM AND VMView

Hi,

We currently protect our main VM farm using SRM and are looking to extend this to cover to our farm of linked clone View desktops. I've search quite a lot for documentation on how to do this but have not came across much yet. I was wondering if anyone has tried implementing this and if so could give some advice/guidance.

I did find this website which involves creating scripts. http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/10/howto-use-site-recovery-manager-and-linked-clone...

Our environment:

vSphere      4.1

View          4.6

Storage     Primary - EMC CX4, DR - EMC CX3

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the last time we tried it and it's too messy and never got it to work. i'm keen to see if anyone with some success story on this script/hack to share here.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I get this question a lot from customers and what I usually advise is to look a bit deeper into what you actually want to protect and the complexity around it.

Usually a model with replication of persistent disk and recreation of the desktop pools is the most interesting one.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

That was my thinking originally. We currently have the persistent disk on replicated storage for manual recovery. We currently have over 200 dedicated desktops within our View environment and manually associating each desktop to the replicated persistent disk does not fill me with joy, hence the reason for my question.

How would we go about automating the association of the user disks (persistent disk) with the desktops? Either, during the recreation of the new desktops pools or after? Do you have any suggestions?

Thomas

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Linjo,

I have a similar situation where i have Persistent Linked Clone desktops with Persistent disk. Do i need to manually attach the disk at the DR.

Did you find any solution.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos