VMware Cloud Community
Petersaints
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM 8.3 test network

Hello all,

Need some help with SRM test mode.

I’m not understanding what should i do to test virtual machines on the recovery site. Imagine:

On protected site, i have 4 virtual machines, all on vlan10 on 192.168.10.x network

On recovery site they will be on vlan20 and will have 192.168.20.x addresses.

I need to do the test, maintaining the virtual machines on the protected site online (i know that test mode do that). I need to keep the test running during 4 days, and the customer need to access those vms on the recovery site. I have some doubts:

1) on the network mapping, should i have the isolated network (auto) or it’s better to have a network created just for testing?

2) if i have the isolated network, how will the customer access the virtual machines on the recovery site? He need to use the vm console?

3) if i have a test network, (eg: 192.168.30.x), how will be the access to the vms? When the 4 vms power up on the recovery site during the test mode, they will have an ip on the 192.168.30.x network, or, from that 192.168.30.x network i will need to grant access to the ips that the vms will have on vlan 20 (192.168.20.x)?

Thanks.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Petersaints ,

1. This is based on the user requirements. If it's small bunch of VMs, you can let it run in auto-created network and manually assign a network for testing purpose followed by cleanup of that network. If you want to perform tests on multiple VMs, you can create a isolated network just for testing.

2. This network should be isolated only from the production network and not from everything. User needs to find a way to have this network accessible only at recovery site. If that's a challenge, yes VM console is the only option.

3. If IP customization is configured for recovery site, VMs will use the recovery site settings even during testing(but in isolated mode, depending the network port group assigned to test network). If you do not customize a NIC on the recovery site, the NIC continues to use the IP settings from the protected site.

Please refer this section for more details --> Customizing IP Properties for Virtual Machines 

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Petersaints ,

1. This is based on the user requirements. If it's small bunch of VMs, you can let it run in auto-created network and manually assign a network for testing purpose followed by cleanup of that network. If you want to perform tests on multiple VMs, you can create a isolated network just for testing.

2. This network should be isolated only from the production network and not from everything. User needs to find a way to have this network accessible only at recovery site. If that's a challenge, yes VM console is the only option.

3. If IP customization is configured for recovery site, VMs will use the recovery site settings even during testing(but in isolated mode, depending the network port group assigned to test network). If you do not customize a NIC on the recovery site, the NIC continues to use the IP settings from the protected site.

Please refer this section for more details --> Customizing IP Properties for Virtual Machines 

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Petersaints
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi @ashilkrishnan ,

Thanks for the answer. So if i understood, it's better have a test network. That test network need to reach the ips that are customized to be use on the recovery site, but don't reach the production network, right?

Thanks!

Regards.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Petersaints , 

Yes, you got that right.

0 Kudos
Petersaints
Enthusiast