VMware Cloud Community
NetITAMikkelsen
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 8.2 Appliance - how to execute scripts a windows server

I'm planning to upgrade from 6.5 (windows) to 8.2 (appliance), but I can't find any guidelines on how to migrate existing recovery plans, with custom commands steps, executing bat/powershell files located on the SRM server?

Alternative, is there a way to call a script (bat or PS1) within a Windows server from a custom command step?

I was hoping it was possible to configure an external script server (Windows or Linux based), to store and execute scripts on.

\\ A. Mikkelsen

8 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

You can export your data. Check if the following article helps:

https://miketabor.com/vmware-site-recovery-manager-8-2-no-more-windows/

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
NetITAMikkelsen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply, but an export/import doesn't fix my problem on how to execute existing Windows script files (bat, cmd, ps1, etc) from an Photon OS backed SRM appliance

\\Anders

0 Kudos
kastrosmartis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Did you manage to find a solution? I have the same problem, am going to try to replace scripts with RESTapi....

0 Kudos
Rooibaard
Contributor
Contributor

This is a problem in our environment as well. We have spent a lot of time to create complex windows based scripts both in Powershell and Windows Batch files and converting them to Linux scripts is just not feasible at this time.

Come on VMWare surely when you provide a Powershell interface for a solution you must have a way going forward that we can still use it after migrating to appliance based deployments.

0 Kudos
Rooibaard
Contributor
Contributor

This is not what is required nor what was asked

0 Kudos
NetITAMikkelsen
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, not yet..

But planning to create a Linux VM in each site that contains the scripts an then have that execute the scripts through it

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

If you are trying to run scripts from SRM appliance, please refer following document --> Guidelines for Writing Command Steps

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
NetITAMikkelsen
Contributor
Contributor

Since the appliance can't run PowerShell scripts) (At least supported), I need a way to execute PS1 scripts on a seperate Windows or Llinux VM..

0 Kudos