VMware Cloud Community
sgtserge
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 5 vm icons after a fail-back

Hi all, we have SRM 5 configured with two celerra ns480, SRA 5.0.1 and mirrorview.

We have tested our recovery plan, performed a production recovery and also a fail-back with a final reprotect. So now we have back the production vms on the original primary site.

Afted doing so, we see the powered-on vm icons on production site as grayed, and also the shadow vm icons on the dr-site are grayed.

Also trying to do a new test fail-over gives a successfull result. We are wondering why we are seeing these grayed icons.

Attached the image.

protectedvms.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sergio

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n00bee
Contributor
Contributor

I also am seeing this after the Reprotect.  My data store has also changed names from "SRM" to "snap-7c6cba44-SRM"

Looking for answers~5-16-2012 10-24-51 AM.jpg

5-16-2012 10-28-02 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
sgtserge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi n00bee,

Also in my case I found the datastore renamed with the “snap” prefix.

That’s has to be the right behaviour as when you perform a dr SRM does a snapshot on destination lun.

i’ve opened a support request. Technical support said there’s a workaround we are going to test on Thursday. They need to change something in the vcenter db.

I’ll let you know how’s gone.

Sergio

0 Kudos
jeff9565
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys,

As far as the renaming of the datastore, if you right click on the site and go to advanced setting, you should be able to change the setting there to change back to original name.

Jeff

0 Kudos
n00bee
Contributor
Contributor

Well the solution offered from support was to perform another full recovery and reprotect...  They briefly referenced the possibility of a timing issue during the recovery phase to unmark the vm as the placeholder but thats all I got.  Looks like a timing bug that may happen from time to time.  I am sending all logs to them now, perhaps they will resolve in a future release.   

0 Kudos
sgtserge
Contributor
Contributor

The support provided us a step by step procedure through the mobility object browser.

By that there is a task called ReconfigVM where you have to execute some xml code to reset the affected vm icon and warning pop-up when clicking edit settings.

Worked like a sharm.

Sergio

0 Kudos
zobi747
Contributor
Contributor

sgtserge, would it be possible to share those steps which were provfded by support. Im getting the snapshot******** as well. When I run the recovery plan again to bring the vm's back to my protected site i get an error due to that snapshot**** cuz the name changed. If i change the datastore name back to default before running recovery to bring VM's back to protected site, it works. Only if i leave it the way with snashot in the fronti it fails.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sgtserge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi zobi747,

follow this link and you’ll find what you are looking for:

http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/vmware-srm-advanced-setting-for-snap-prefix/

s.

0 Kudos