VMware Cloud Community
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM 5 + EMC VNX 5300 - Setup Array Manager

Hi All,

I have two VNX 5300 at each. I have managed to install SRM and paired the sites. I have setup everything else aside from the Array Manager. I have installed the SRA's on both SRM servers and the status is OK. I have downloaded the Virtual Appliance of the Solutions Enabler (7.2.1 and 7.3) from EMC Powerlink. I have also tried installing the windows version on the SRM server (7.3 and 7.2.1 both x64 and x86 versions). I have installed the VSI plugin for vSphere. The closest I get is when I click on the VSI plugin and select Solutions Enabler under Storage Viewer, I get the error " Connection failed. Error: The remote client/server handshake failed. The error I get when trying to add the Array Manager is " SRA command 'discoverArrays' failed. Unable to locate enabler for input connection information. Verify the Management IP/Hostname and credentials.

Any idea's

Thanks,

Tags (2)
18 Replies
msatya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You do not have the options httpd.admin.access or httpd.admin.enable set appropriatly.

-------------------------
please award points if you see fit.Thankshttp://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Where would I find these files? I can't see them on the Windows install. I have tried to ssh to the appliance but it is not working.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

by default

• the virtual appliances are configured to accept secure connections only and
  • the VSI is configured to perform unsecure connections.

To the best of my knowledge, the configuration of the VSI couldn't be changed so you need to adjust the vAPP settings.

To do so perform the following steps.

1. configure the vAPP
  • connect to the vAPP trough port 5480
  • go to daemon status page
  • select edit daemon options file
  • insert storsrvd:security_level  = NONSECURE or ANY and save the file
  • add hosts with SRA in the nethost settings with a user * (see below)

Nethost.JPG

• restart the EMC Solutions Enabler SYMAPI Server Daemon (storsrvd)

1. configure the VSI
  • enter the vAPP FQDN or ipaddress

VSI.jpg

• discover the two VNX arrays by providing all informations needed in the block section of VNX Systems

1. configure the SRA
  • use Array Manager Information wizard to add the production/recovery array (some infos needed as with VSI discovery)

Hint:

I'm using the latest SMAS vAPP so there may be differences to the version you're using.

This should allow you to complete the SRA Array Manager configuration.

Good luck,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am busy doing it now. Just a quick question. At the NETHOST settings, I have installed my SRA's on a Windows server, I add the IP address of that server but what user do put? It is not allowing me to add * as a user and I have to fill in bot fields.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

that's weird, as it does work for me.

Instead of * you should add the account your SRM service does use, this should also work.

Good luck,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks that work great. Now when I Test Connection on the Solution Enabler in the vSphere client. I get the error "Error, The trusted host file disallowed a client server connection." I have looked in the Daemon Options file and can't see an option for certs.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi Ian,

I assume you did enter the ANY option instead of NONSECURE in the daemon options file.

You could retry with NONSECURE (which does work fine for me), but keep in mind to restart the daemon after.

And you should rerun the SRA Array Manager including Array rediscover to verify if this still works after the change.

Good luck,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

That worked thanks. Now when I go to Site Recovery vApp and try to add the Array Manager. I get the following error "SRA command 'discoverArrays' failed. Unable to locate enabler for input connection information.Verify the Management IP/Hostname and credentials." I have rescanned the SRA's.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi Ian,

depending on the protocol your using (FC, iSCSI or NFS) you need to install additional enabler software which is available on EMC Powerlink Website.

Here're some helpfull links.

After the lecture of the documents you should be able to complete the SRA configuration.

Btw, in the meantime I was able to reconfigure VSI to use a SECURE connection to a SE vApp.

On the client where you installed VSI you need to recreate the certificates.

To do so, run the following command.

%ProgramFiles%\EMC\Symapi\config\cert\manage_server_cert.bat create <FQDN of VSI client>

Keep in mind that you need to reconfigure the SE vApp to allow SECURE connections only.

Have fun completing the SRM installation.

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
aventia
Contributor
Contributor

I have two VNX 5500 at each site. I have managed to install SRM and paired  the sites. I have setup everything else aside from the Array Manager too. I  have installed the SRA's (EMC MirrorView Enabler for VNX SRA) on both SRM servers. When I start EMC MirrorView Insight for Vmware and try discover I have error:

Discovery Started Discovering Array: BRI SRM Protected Site-192.168.66.113-192.168.66.114 Operation Failed...Details: Unable to load DLL  'MirrorViewSRACore.dll': The specified module could not be found.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

So I have question ... Is required install Solution Enabler for configuration with VNX?

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

to the best of my knowledge, EMC MirrorView Insight relies on Solution Enabler (32bit).

Kind regards

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

yep 32bit SE still required

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I really wish that EMC would just bundle the Solution Enabler with thier SRA. it would make life much easier Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

the Solution Enabler is in fact already embedded BUT to the EMC Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI) which is a FREE vCenter Plugin that gives you many many features ( https://itzikr.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/virtual-storage-integrator-vsi-5-1-for-vmax-management/ )

and in the context of VMware SRM and the EMC SRDF SRA is also the tool that created the Consistency Groups (CG'S) without the need to use the Symmtrix SYMCLI / SMC etc`'..

by default, the "client" side solution enabler is enabled and the "server" side is disabled, if you want your vCenter / SRM server to be both the client and the server, you only need to install the relevant daemon but in any case, the client side is already installed.

Thanks

Itzik Reich

Advisory vSpecialst, EMC

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I am sorry but that seems at complete odds with what I have just experianced.  when installing the SRA on the SRM server it distinctly stated that a SE needed to be installed.

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry Tom, i probably didnt explain myself properly, the SE is not part of the SRA, it IS an embeeded part of another product we excpet customers to use that is called Virtual Storage Integrator, this is a free and very valuable products for VMware / EMC customers has it gives them visibility over their storage, it also allows them to create luns / NFS exports from the tool, gives them performance monitor (back end level) on their array and more..

i'm attaching a screenshot where to download it from..

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

OK I understand that but why would I install VSI on my dedicated SRM server? Surely it would go on the server hosting vCenter

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi Tom,

this discussion starts to be off topic, but anyhow.

VSI and the available plugins could make VMware admins life easier.

Therefore it's a good idea to install it on any Client/Server where the VMware Client is installed and is used to perform storage related admin tasks.

Most of the PlugIns mentioned by Itzik could be installed elsewhere in your environment, one PlugIn does only make sense on the servers where the SRA are installed.

But currently EMC does offer the VSI SRA plugin for Symmetrix only, so there's no need to install it in your environment.

Regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
0 Kudos