VMware Cloud Community
spoonuk
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 5.8 with either separate vCenter servers for Prod/DR sites or is Linked Mode the way to go?

Hi,

I have a single vCenter 5.5 server covering my Prod and DR sites and looking to deploy SRM 5.8. I know that I could just deploy additional vCenter server and have my DR hosts being managed by the additional vCenter but what about Linked Mode and having both "under one roof" type of setup? Linked mode scenario is possible but are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? Is Linked Mode what people are going for when it comes to SRM and multiple sites?

What I would like to ideally avoid is to have two separate instances of vCenter managing 50% of my estate each.

Would appreciate any input/feedback so fire away if you can help.

cheers,

Adrian

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Keep in mind that SRM requires 2 vCenters, and 2 SRM servers. Linked mode makes managing licenses and inventory between two vCenters easier, and if you meet the requirements for linked mode (see documentation) it usually makes sense to do it. Other than meeting the requirements for linked mode there aren't significant pitfalls though I would recommend reading the documentation about it.

Linked mode in vSphere 6 has lower requirements, is easier to setup and better if upgrading is an option.

0 Kudos