VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SRM 5.8 SAP Test DR

Dear All,

Here is our setup upgraded from vSphere/SRM 4.1.

vSphere 5.5 Update 2

SRM 5.8

EMC Clariion and Mirror View Array

We are running SAP on VM protected by SRM. SAP VM got 4 VMDK vDisks attached to it. These 4 vDisks comes from 4 different datastores in turn 4 LUNs from storage. All these LUNs are put into single consistency group at array level to maintain data integrity.Now the issue is with Test DR. In 4.1 we do create snapshot in array manually and keep it disabled for SRM use. But in latest version its automatically creating snapshots at array level during Test DR via SRA commands. Fine enhancements!

But as I observe these snapshots for replicated LUNs are creating and getting committed one by one which means they have time difference when the snapshot is created. SAP application in VM when we start checking some time stamp accross all volumes. As it has differences Oracle database refuses to start (at least this is what I understand from application team). We have contacted EMC/VMware. VMware clearly said it is not in hands of them and pointed to EMC. Now the best part if EMC saying this is very special case and they dont have any solution in hand. This scenario was working perfectly under vSphere/SRM 4.1. Now customer is going mad after upgrading their setup!

Am I doing something wrong here in Test DR for SAP? How this can be specials case? SAP on VMware is not any simple application to ignore or to put generalize statements like its simply not there! If it is the case what EMC is saying this will affect all customers running SAP on VMware and discourage them to go after VMware/EMC duo!

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Warm Regards,

Hari.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Any ideas? Or my question is unclear?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think this is likely related to the SRA and enabler used with MirrorView, have you tried asking this question on the EMC community?

0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I didn't tried in EMC community. I will do it today and see if that helps.

Thank You.

0 Kudos