VMware Cloud Community
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM 5.5 service keeps terminating unexpectedly

Awright folks, I've been trying to get this to work for days now and it's time to ask the experts.

Quick brief about my lab: Physical machine running 5.5, then nested multiple 5.5 systems running inside the physical box. I have two vCenter's (one prod, the other DR). I have SRM installed on a separate VM (I know I can have it on the same machine as vCenter). The SQL database for vCenter sits on the same machine, the database for SRM sits on a machine that runs SQL 2012 R2 (on Windows 2012 R2). There appear to be no problems connecting to the database. Windows firewall is off on all machines. Everything else works a treat, it's just the SRM service that keeps terminating every 2 or so seconds.

What have I done already?

- Reinstalled SRM, same thing still happens

- Generated a new certificate, same thing. Note I am using the automatically generated cert, not the .p12 one

- Checked connectivity between the various components

- I am using the DNS name of vCenter, not it's IP address. At first I tried with the IP address (thinking maybe the automatically generated cert used vCenter's IP), I had the same issue - then tried the DNS name of vCenter, and still the same issue

- The SRM service runs as a service account, with the account being a local admin on the machine and having the appropriate permissions on the database. (followed the installation doco to the word). SQL 2012 is supported.

I have attached the latest log to this question too. Can someone please advise on where I am going wrong? There seem to be some connectivity issue from what I can see in the log, it's timing out waiting for something to respond.

Help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awright I reinstalled vSphere client and it's now come good. Thank you for reading!

Fix: Used SQL 2008 R2 Express instead of SQL 2012 R2. Maybe 2012 doesnt fully work yet with SRM 5.5 or maybe I did a mis-config somewhere, I dont know because I'm not a database guy. So yeah, with SQL 2008 R2 - no problems!

Now, back to the fun stuff - Learn SRM!

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I have installed SQL 2008 R2 Express on the same VM as SRM and the service doesnt terminate anymore. But now, I cannot connect to SRM from the vSphere client - bombs out with the error: The remote server took too long to respond.

Connection error: Lost connetion to SRM server 10.0.0.9:8095

Windows Firewall is off and disabled on both machines. Telnet on that port is successful from vCenter server to the SRM machine. I have checked the SRM logs and there are no errors reported. Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awright I reinstalled vSphere client and it's now come good. Thank you for reading!

Fix: Used SQL 2008 R2 Express instead of SQL 2012 R2. Maybe 2012 doesnt fully work yet with SRM 5.5 or maybe I did a mis-config somewhere, I dont know because I'm not a database guy. So yeah, with SQL 2008 R2 - no problems!

Now, back to the fun stuff - Learn SRM!

0 Kudos