VMware Cloud Community
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM 5.1 bandwidth requirements

Hi!

In our case we'll use SRM with array-replication. But, is anybody knows the SRM 5.1 bandwidth requirements for communications between Protected and Recovery sites? 10//100 or more kbits needed?

best regards...

Ilya

0 Kudos
7 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hi ...

The answer to this question mostly comes down to "it depends" ... It depends on the amount of data that needs to be transferred ...

This blog post in two parts might help you in deciding the bandwidth needed to meet your Recovery Point Objective:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/10/vsphere-replication-bandwidth-1.html

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/10/vsphere-replication-bandwidth.html

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

No, my question is not about bandwidth between arrays on Protected and Recovery sites. Question is about bandwidth between SRM servers only

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

You mean for just the conversation between the two servers? Or between SRM sites?

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Conversation only...

As  I understand, in case of  array-correlation (no matter how it will works) only SRM Protected<->Recovery conversation exist between sites, even if we  have  active-active configuration (when every site acts as primary and recovery at the same time...) Am i correct?

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

If you're asking if the SRM traffic itself can have an impact on the bandwidth, then the answer would be, not really ... SRM itself sends little information between sites and  therefore generally has no impact on the bandwidth required between  sites.

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, but is it possible to have documentation about it? I understand and believe to you, but for my architect the 'VMware'-document prefer... Is it possible to have such kind of proof?

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

I haven't seen actual VMware documentation containing numbers, so I think you'll not find official documentation containing minimum bandwidth requirements.

Maybe some whitepapers that contain the needed information, but don't know any off-hand.