VMware Cloud Community
D4N201110141
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 5.1 - Sites will not connect

I'm working on an SRM 5.1 implementation and am experincing an odd error. When I go through the 'Configure Connection' wizard everything completes (all green checkmarks) and the wizard exits. However, under sites the Local site shows a status of 'Not Connected' and the remote site shows a status of 'Unknown'

I've tried breaking the connection and restablishing but that does not seem to work either. If I exit vCenter and reopen it SRM asks for an account to the remote vCenter. I enter the credentials and then get the following error after some time -

The request failed because the remote server took too long to respond.

So far I cannot find anything out of the ordinary with our setup. The sites did connect one time (after breaking and recreating) but have since disconnected and will not reconnect. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

What is operating system you are using windows 2003, for SRM.

Also what operating  system you are using to launch the vCenter server client XP ?

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
D4N201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2008R2 64-bit

Windows 7 client.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

It is worth looking into vSphere Client logs When you try to pair the sites. Also make sure required ports are open and allowed through firewall. Also can disable local windows firewall on both the SRM and vCenter server machine.

Port requirement  for  SRM.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100956...

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
D4N201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I will look into exporting the logs. No firewalls are turned on, so I know it isn't that.

Thank you for the quick replies. I spoke with another admin who said they were having trouble with vcenter logging in correctly. I'm going to look into that as well. Maybe there is a vcenter patch we haven't applied yet.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

what is version of vCenter server it has to be 5.1.X

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
D4N201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Mohammed

Right now the vCenter Server is at 5.1.0. We will be upgrading to 5.1.0b sometime soon. Perhaps this will resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

silly question, but is the vCenter service started at the remote location?'

0 Kudos
Alim786
Expert
Expert

I had a similar problem. I logged onto my Primary Site vCenter server with my AD account. I started the vSphere Client and used the same credentials and was able to administer vCenter as normal. I selected the Site Recovery icon and it prompted me to enter the credentials used to configure the Sites originally which were different to mine. After some time it timed out with the same error you are getting.

I then closed my vSphere Client and started it again and this time logged on using the credentials used to configure the Sites. I selected the Site Recovery icon and prompted me again and put in the same credentials and this time it connected successfully. It is a timeout issue and I am sure there must be a setting to resolve this either exposed within the GUI or as a bug-fix.

For you to try this, you must make sure that the account used to configure the Sites is a vCenter Admin.

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
D4N201110141
Contributor
Contributor

The solution was to patch our vCenter servers to 5.1.0b.

0 Kudos
Alim786
Expert
Expert

Thank you for the answer.

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos