VMware Cloud Community
lakey81
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM 5.1 RecoverPoint SRA?

Anyone know how long does it usually take for the SRA to get updated when a new version of SRM comes out?  Or can we use the 5.0.1 SRA for recoverpoint?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I upgraded SRM to 5.1 and now the SRA (2.0; RP 3.5) will not connect to SRM.  I have a case open with EMC and VMware.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The current available SRA isn't certified with 5.1, which is why it doesn't work.

The 5.1 compatible RP SRA is in testing with VMware now.  No release date specified, but if you look at our (EMC's) history, we are usually pretty quick.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has this been released yet?  Needing to upgrade to 5.1.1 as well.

Thanks!

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
foxp
Contributor
Contributor

I am out of the office with limited access to email until 5th November. For urgent issues please contact me on +44(0)7768854881 otherwise i will return your mail on my return.

For Issue Resolution please contact the IS Service desk on +44(0)1942 854333

Kind Regards

Paul Fox | IS Infrastructure & Support Team Leader

MICROS | Crompton House | Barrs Fold Road | Westhoughton | Lancashire | BL5 3XP |

phone +44 (0)1942 854007 | mobile +44 (0)7768 854881 | office +44 (0)1942 854300 | fax +44 (0)1942 854301 |

Paul.Fox@MICROS.COM | www.torex.com | www.micros-fidelio.eu

0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No it hasnt been released.  I cant beleive it takes this long for them to approve the SRA, I know EMC released it last month.  That kills updating to vsphere 5.1 if you are relying on SRM for protection because they dont let SRM 5.0 work with vcenter 5.1.  This has been a real pain in the a** and i canty beleive VMware are still dragging there feet.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Actually - pretty much every SRA we've released has taken this long to go through VMware.

0 Kudos
lakey81
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Other vendors had SRA's available on day 1 of 5.1's release so there's really no excuse for it to not be available.

0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree!  The SRA for the VNX was up on day 1, why not for recoverpoint???

0 Kudos
zahidhussain
Contributor
Contributor

is there any update regarding RP SRA for SRM 5.1

0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One Hurricane Sandy later and no thanks to SRM.  At least RecoverPoint did its job.  I just don't understand how there is no backwards compatibility with SRM5.0 and vCenter 5.1, that would be nice.

I have been told that the SRA for recoverpoint will be out in December.  I don't see how it takes so long especially since EMC owns VMware and has SRA's published for the VNX.  Hopefully we don't get an early blizzard.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

I got reports from the PM today that VMware has finished their approval of the plugin and it will be posted on their website during their Friday update.

0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is great news!  Thanks.  I am looking forward to getting SRM back in place.

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The SRA is now available on the download page.

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
zahidhussain
Contributor
Contributor

I cant find the URL to download the SRA for SRM 5.1 can anyone help ?

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to login to download SRM and be at the final download page. Then scroll down an the SRA are listed.

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
zahidhussain
Contributor
Contributor

got it. its on SRM 5.1 download page.

thanks

0 Kudos
dsloyer
Contributor
Contributor

Installed the new RecoverPoint SRA 2.1 on my SRM 5.1 environment in the lab -- no problems.  Worked perfectly, using RP to replicate several VMs from an FC-connected VNX to another FC-connected CX4.

Ran a couple of tests:

1. Test/Cleanup... yup.

2. Recovery(Planned Migration)/Reprotect to the Recovery Site... yup.

3. Recovery/Reprotect back to the Protected Site... yup.

Looking good, so far.

VCP5
0 Kudos
jsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using vSphere 5 or 5.1 ?

0 Kudos
dsloyer
Contributor
Contributor

My test sites were upgraded from vSphere 5.0 update 1 to 5.1.  The hosts were, likewise, upgraded from ESXi 5.0 (update 1) to ESXi 5.1, using VUM.  So, the sites were both fully-upgraded from 5.0 (update 1) to 5.1, including newer VMTools on all VMs.

The biggest hurdle in the upgrade was the Single Sign-on install and configuration -- and the surprisingly long wait for the RecoverPoint SRA for 5.1.

Operationally, the differences are small (we are not currently deploying vSphere Replication, which has changed dramatically for 5.1; I've not yet deployed or tested VR 5.1).  My documentation is little-changed in the move to 5.1.

VCP5
0 Kudos