VMware Cloud Community
tman84
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 5.1 - Configure Connection "Could not be connected"

Hi All,

I'm currently evaluating SRM 5.1

I've gone through the installation as recommended by the installation guide and installed SRM and the Plugin at both the Protected and Remote site.

I've moved onto "Configure connection" in the getting started tab.

I go through the steps of the configure connection wizard and get to the complete connections of the wizard.

It ticks off all the steps, gets to the "establish reciprocity" point and sits for 10 sec. It then throws up the following error (I've attached a fullsize copy):

vcntr SRM error.png

So from the error I can see that the remote vCenter server is unable to connect to the protected site's vCenter server on port 80.

But I can manually browse to the protected site's vCenter server from the remote site on port 80, which brings up the standard vCenter web page.

So not sure what I'm missing here

Theres a VPN between the sites and all required ports are open on the firewall at both ends.

I checked the logs for SRM. Part of which shows:

2013-01-23T12:05:44.120+11:00 [06724 warning 'RemoteSite'] Creation of paired RemoteSite failed.: (dr.fault.SitePairingFault) {
[#3] -->    dynamicType = <unset>,
[#3] -->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
[#3] -->    name = "remote vCenter server",
[#3] -->    uuid = "7b3b17a6-8772-405f-a10b-5853c2fb8a1d",
[#3] -->    reason = (dr.fault.HostUnreachableFault) {
[#3] -->       dynamicType = <unset>,
[#3] -->       faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
[#3] -->       address = "protected vcenter ip",
[#3] -->       port = "80",
[#3] -->       errorDescription = "Host unreachable.",
[#3] -->       msg = "Host 'protected vcenter ip:80' could not be connected.",
[#3] -->    },
[#3] -->    msg = "SRM server 'remote vcenter' cannot do a pair operation. The reason is: Host 'protected vcenter ip:80' could not be connected.",
[#3] --> }

This shows "host unreachable" as the error description. I'm just not sure how this is possible as I can manually browse to either vCenter servers from the other vCenter server on port 80

If anyone couple provide some insite, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Trent

0 Kudos
4 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

HI,

It look like port  issue as of now

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100956...

Also I would like to know what is operating system being used for installing SRM

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
christas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you resolved this issue yet? I recently upgraded our SRM from 5.0 to 5.1...  I "sucessfully" ran a test, and then after making a few changes, I rebooted the two SRM machines and now I am receiving the same error. They were JUST talking!!

If you have any advice I would appreciate it!

VCP5, VCAP5-DCA
0 Kudos
tman84
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This turned out to be an issue with our DR site.

We were using a 3rd party company to host our DR site.

It all came down to routing and firewall settings.

Our main issues were getting our replications appliances to talk. Once that was working the sync was sitting on 0% and not syncing

The issue from here was the repplication appliance at the DR site was unable to talk to the host it was sitting on.

Once we had resolved this, all began to work.

We haven't had an further issues.

Not sure what would cause your problem considering it was just working, but it was firewalls and routing that caused our problems.

0 Kudos
christas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the info. I actually ended up getting ours to communicate again.  The SRM service had stopped at the DR site. Once I restarted that and changed the "log on" to the VMware Service Account, it has worked perfectly.

VCP5, VCAP5-DCA
0 Kudos