VMware Cloud Community
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM 5.1.1 in Production

Dear All, I am implementing SRM 5.1.1 into production and I have some doubts/ questions in my mind. I would really appreciate if somebody can clarify these for me... Please?

Site A (Protected):

1. vCenter 5.1 VM
  2. SSO VM
  3. vCenter DB & SRM DB VM
  4. SRM VM

Site B (Recovery):

1. vCenter 5.1 VM
  2. SRM VM

Questions:

1. Should I create another DB and SSO server for vCenter at site B? Or it can use the ones at site A? If it uses SIte A DB and SSO, will SRM work when we do planned DR or during disaster?
  2. Should vCenter be in linked mode or Separate at each site?
  3. If we have 3rd Site (Say Site C) which is also a recovery site. Can we configure SRM in such a way that Site A VMs (Protected Site VMs) and failover to both Recovery Sites? ALso Do I need 3rd vCenter, SSO, DB at 3rd Site?

Many Thanks,

AG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Believe me it is not possible.

I haven't seen this statement in the official documentation.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A) Yes you will need DB and SSO instance - remember SRM is for DR so it is a safe assumption the the primary site is gone -

B) You will need a seperate vCenter in each site -

C) The above two answers do apply to the 3rd site -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

A. As said

B. Can be either in LInked Mode or Separate. Linked Mode requires SSO in mult-isite mode. Good article on SSO with SRM: http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/02/linked-mode-with-sso-for-srm.html

C. This is not possible. SRM support only one-to-one and many-to-one scenarios. You can replicate the data to the third site via storage array, but the recovery process will be manual.

Michael.

asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank You weinstein5 and Michael for sharing the information. However I am confused with the answer C. I have got 1 positive and 1 negative reply for 3rd question C. Is there any documentation saying this scenario is not possible (1 to Many)?

Thanks- AG

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Believe me it is not possible.

I haven't seen this statement in the official documentation.

Michael.

0 Kudos
stainboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What you can do is to have 2 protected sites failing over to 1 recovery site. OR using storage replication, have a protected site failover to another site that has replication in place to a third site. Neither will cover what you are looking for.

0 Kudos