VMware Cloud Community
Beacon
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 5.0.1 Reprotect Not Working

I have my VMware infrastructure in place and working fine. I recently setup SRM 5.0.1 and have my vCenter servers linked. We have 2 EqualLogic arrays. All licensing is in place. Replication is working.

I have one LUN with one VM that I am testing with. I am using array-based replication and I have the SRA installed and configured. I can successfully "Test" a recovery plan and "Recovery" a recovery plan. I cannot "Reprotect" a recovery plan. I have tried making changes to the config on everything I can think of, I have removed and reinstalled a bunch of things but I keep getting the same failed result at the same place (step 1). The error I get is this:

Error - Failed to reverse replication for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  SRA command 'prepareReverseReplication' failed for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  Replicate back task failed or not started Use the Group Manager to check the  failback or replicate back task, remove the failed task

I cannot figure out what is wrong so if anyone can help it would be appreciated. I do not see anything in any logs that I can find. I am stuck and do not know where to look. Replication is enable for both inbound and outbound on both SANs. Not sure what to put up here so let me know what I can post to help.

Thank you.

To add moro information, this is from the report (screenshot attached):

1. Configure Storage to  Reverse DirectionError - Failed to reverse  replication for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  SRA command 'prepareReverseReplication' failed for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  Replicate back task failed or not started Use the Group Manager to check the  failback or replicate back task, remove the failed task2012-03-30 13:56:44 (UTC 0)2012-03-30 13:56:56 (UTC 0)
1.1. Protection Group  syr-jsmith protection groupError - Failed to reverse  replication for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  SRA command 'prepareReverseReplication' failed for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  Replicate back task failed or not started Use the Group Manager to check the  failback or replicate back task, remove the failed task2012-03-30 13:56:44 (UTC 0)2012-03-30 13:56:56 (UTC 0)
Device "carbon-syr-jsmith.1":

Error:SRA command  'prepareReverseReplication' failed for device  'iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:0-8a0906-6d36aa101-acf001baf644f75a-carbon-syr-jsmith.1'.  Replicate back task failed or not started Use the Group Manager to check the  failback or replicate back task, remove the failed task
Tags (2)
6 Replies
Beacon
Contributor
Contributor

I think I finally found my problem. The LUN on the SAN needed snapshot space, it cannot be 0. Once I played around with that things started working. I have now successfully tested the entire process and it is working so if anyone else has this problem look at the SAN and the settings of the LUN to makse sure it is not set at 0.

mclifford00
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same exact error message. I to am in a test environment and have deleted all of my snapshots, but it didn't resolve my issue.

0 Kudos
clogs1312
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering whether anyone has found a solution to this yet.  I checked the snapshot settings and there appears to be plenty of capacity on the volume.

I am having this issue with SRM 5.1 with Equallogics and SRA 2.2 on a greenfields installation.

0 Kudos
Jrico1982
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Beacon,

I am facing the same error, however reverse replication ends up ok between storage A and storage B, I think that the error occurs when SRA tries to Promote the replicated LUN at the protected site. Did you face similar issues?

0 Kudos
nickerm
Contributor
Contributor

This was exactly my problem, even today with SRA 2.2, SRM 5.5, and Equallogic firmware 7.0.  However it went even a step further; my original volume had 0 set for snapshot space, as soon as I set to 10% it began the reprotect process.  I still needed to manually increase replica reserve before the replication job would commence.  Additionally to all of that, as you know if you are flipping protection completely back to its original state, you must run another reprotect operation.  For this second reprotect it failed as well with the same error, even though I already had snapshot space allocated and snapshots present.  In this instance I had to actually set the snapshot reserve to 0 (which deleted all present snapshots) and then set it to 10% at which point the reprotect worked (also after having to manually intervene on the SAN to increase delegated space and replica reserve).

0 Kudos
jodykw82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread but I had the exact same problem when trying to Re-Protect.  I also had to adjust the snapshot reserve from 0% on the primary (original) volume.  I increased it to 50% and then the re-protect worked just fine.

0 Kudos