VMware Cloud Community
Vandalay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM 4.1.2 Install Problem

We were getting ready to roll out SRM 4.1.1 for the first time when 4.1.2 hit the streets.  Decided to roll 4.1.2 instead since it included some fixes for some issues we had already run into.

I uninstalled SRM 4.1.1 on the SRM servers in the lab which came out cleanly.  I then tried to run the 4.1.2 install on the 2008R2 server.  On the "VMware vCenter Server" screen, I enter the vCenter server name and SRM account credentials.  I setup a special account for this purpose in AD.  I've gone as far as to put it in the local administrators group on the vCenter server and the SRM server.  The account is assigned the Administrator role in vCenter at the root level on both vCenters that are in linked mode.  I can log into vCenter directly with the account and have full rights on both sites as expected.

But, after I enter these credentials during the 4.1.2 install, it comes back and says "The specified user does not have administrative privileges. Please use a different user name."  If I cancel it and run the 4.1.1 install again, I can get past that point with no problem.

The 4.1.2 release notes includes this:

Unclear Error Message when Installation Fails Because the SRM User Account Does Not Have Administrator Privileges

Prevously, if the installation failed because the SRM user performing the installation did not have the Administrator role in vCenter Server, the installer displayed the error Internal error: unexpected error code: -1. The error message now states The specified user does not have administrative privileges. Please use a different user name.

That's the message I'm seeing, but for no good reason that I can come up with.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drhagan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Further, I experienced this error when linking the 2 sites:

You do not have the privilege

"VcDr.RemoteSite.com.vmware.vcDr.Add" on Remote Site

"site - xxxx"

I had used an account with a role specifically created for SRM, but it was simply a cloned Administrator role. Our intent was to dial back the rights at some point but you can't even install or link the sites without explicitly being granted the Administrator role.

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vandalay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so the install will proceed if the account I use specifically is assigned the "Administrators" role in VC.  It was assigned a custom role that was a clone of the "Administrator's" role before (intent was to go least privilege later).  So even though it was in a role that has every box checked, every permission granted, it would fail per the original post.  But actually use the built in "Administrators" role and it works.

So, either the built in Administrators roles grants some permission that no other role can grant and that is required by 4.1.2, or when they "fixed" the issue quoted in the post, they check only for the built in Administrators role and not the actual permissions granted by the role.  So, it says you don't have enough permissions even though you do.

Confirmed this on two completely seperate installations.

Thanks to drhagan for finding the lead in the right direction.

0 Kudos
drhagan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Further, I experienced this error when linking the 2 sites:

You do not have the privilege

"VcDr.RemoteSite.com.vmware.vcDr.Add" on Remote Site

"site - xxxx"

I had used an account with a role specifically created for SRM, but it was simply a cloned Administrator role. Our intent was to dial back the rights at some point but you can't even install or link the sites without explicitly being granted the Administrator role.

David

0 Kudos