wallabyfan2
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 4.0 versus Symantec Pure Disk w/ VCB (or vSphere DR)

Hello Community

Can anyone point me in the direction of resources which compare the advantages and disadvantages of VMware SRM 1.0/4.0 versus Symantec Pure Disk w/ VCB (or vSphere DR)?

I have a customer who is thinking of doing Symantec Pure Disk but I am encouraging not do based on the fact that SRM is an automated fail-over solution with granularity and ability to Test Recovery Plan.

What are the pros of Pure Disk? I'm not so sure Pure Disk will even scrape the surface of the functionality found in SRM.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
awong505
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PureDisk is more of a traditional data protection solution (ie NetBackup/DataProtector/BackupExec/TSM). You still have to go through the process of restoring a server from the backup in a DR situation. See this ESG report for a fairly detailed analysis of the product:

http://downloads.pennnet.com/is/esg/puredisk_0806.pdf

Most customers would have a traditional data protection solution such as PureDisk/NetBackup/etc. regardless of whether they were going to use SRM or not. SRM does not provide file level recovery and other more traditional features of a data protection solution. It's targeted at DR/BC. That said, SRM offers all kinds of nice functionality related to DR/BC that you're not going to get from a traditional data protection solution such as run books/test recovery plans/etc.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos