VMware Cloud Community
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SRM 4.0.1 with SRDF/A, S.E. 7.1 and discoverArrays failure

I'm working on a deployment and am running into some issues pairing storage. I have vCenter/ESX/SRM all 4.0 U1, SRM and vCenter installed on the same server. Solutions Enabler 7.1.0 is installed on both SRM servers and I have one fully functional SYMAPI server at each protected and recovery site also with v. 7.1.0. SRA is version 2.1.1.1.

Array pairing fails with the ever insightful 'error while executing discoverArrays' messages. The errors found in the SRA logs, which I'll try to outline below, suggest this is a licensing issue but I'm not able to convince other parties involved that this is the case.

1. Does Solutions Enabler need to be licensed on the SRM host if it is only contacting another SYMAPI server? If yes, the documentation I've seen suggests that the BASE license from the SYMAPI server should be replicated on the SRM server, any validitity?

2. Does SRM require the 'netcnf' file to be fully configured? Documentation I have is conflicting as to whether this is necessary with SE 7.1/SRM 4.0<span style="font-family: Calibri-BoldItalic"># . </span>

I cannot get logs out of the environment I'm working in due to security restrictions but the error looks a lot like this:

SymmUtil::GetSEVersino ] : SymSessionShow() failed to fetch session information. :

and

CmdDiscoverArrays::DiscoveryArrays ] : SymDiscover() failed. :

Thanks!

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tim,

if you install solution enabler client (basically a typical install without any extra deamons) you do NOT need any license install on the client,

also, you do NOT need to configure any netcnfg file as you as you install EMC Storage viewer that among many many other things it does (and will do)

is responsible for two things at the SRM level:

1. will connect to the SE server

2. at the recovery site, i can "sense" the presense of the EMC SRDF SRA and allow you to select from the GUI the pairing for the test luns (can be either Clones, BCV, Snaps depends on the enviornment)

what is the SE server, is it the SE appliance, a windows, linux server etc`?

Itzik Reich

Solutions Architect

VCI,VCP,VTSP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSE,CCA,CCNA

EMC²

where Information Lives

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Itzik Reich
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the response Itzik!

It looks like the client got the issue resolved working with support on an open EMC SR though I'm still trying to put all of the pieces together. I don't have very extensive visibility into the environment and do not know what the SE server is though the environment would suggest it's a Windows machine, definitely not an appliance. I do see that the netcnfg file is configured though, as you mention, I didn't believe this to be necessary.

You seem to be suggesting that just doing the client install should just work. Do you happen to know if additional environmental variables were necessary? I see some additional entries to the SYMCLI bin directory on the SRM server.

Thanks again!

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Root cause for failure and licensing errors has been established, the existing host being used as the SYMAPI server was not fully licensed.

Thanks!

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you are welcome!

bear in mind that for actual SRM test you may need SRDF consistency and DG consistency licenses as well..

Itzik Reich

Solutions Architect

VCI,VCP,VTSP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSE,CCA,CCNA

EMC²

where Information Lives

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos