VMware Cloud Community
serbo
Contributor
Contributor

SRA disconnects from array after 2-3 days

Hi,

I have configured SRM 5 successfully with our HP EVA 6400's. Both initially connect to the EVA's and I can test SRM. However after 2 days or so the SRA agent can't connect to the EVAs. I get the following message when I try to refresh.

Timed out (900 seconds) while waiting for SRA to complete 'discoverDevices' command.

If I reboot both SRM servers (at either site) the SRA can connect to the EVA's again....... Although its working again I wouldn't like to be in this position during a DR scenario!

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have had that issue on a compellent san using 4.1 - turned out to be a bug in their SRA.  i would contact HP support.

serbo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ccinatl. Will try HP.

0 Kudos
miveli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Serbo,

Did you get any joy from HP support with this issue. I have a very similar issue with my EVA8400's and have a call open with HP but it has been 4 days now and they havent come back with a respones.

Mark

0 Kudos
serbo
Contributor
Contributor

Not 100% on this but it does seem better. I say "seem" as we've been having other SAN issues so its hard to guage if it has been fixed.....

However, after uninstalling our AV software (Symantec Endpoint) the disconnects seemed less frequent.

Let me know if that is relevant?

Cheers

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi serbo

Welcome to the communites

Some times Antivirus are creating problem and having only one option either add those service to exclusion range or disble the antivirus service but second option not recomended by most of IT progessional.

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoe."
0 Kudos
miveli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually got an update from HP. They recommended putting the timeout setting at 1500. They also have a customer advisory that indicates a bug in the P6000 SRA (for SRM5).

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03190500&lang=en&cc=u...

I have installed the new SRA and changed the timeout to 1500 seconds but still having timeout issues. Last thing for me to try is the management of the SAN's in the Command View managers.

0 Kudos
pbergerjms
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similiar issue even getting the SRM Array Managers configured for the first time (This was a NetApp SAN -- but a SAN is a SAN is a SAN).

The default timeout of 300 seconds was too short for some reason.

Per this forum entry: https://community.emc.com/thread/145681?start=0&tstart=0

I did these steos and increased to 900 seconds. It worked.I hope this addition can help others.?

1. Click Sites in the left pane, right-click a site, and click Advanced Settings.
  2. In the navigation pane of the Advanced Settings window, click Storage.
  3. Modify the storage settings as required.
  4. To change SRA update timeout, enter a new value in the storage.commandTimeout field greater than its current value.
0 Kudos