VMware Cloud Community
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRA Requirement for Multiple Storage/Site

Hello!

Can one SRA manage multiple storage of the same type?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, single SRA instance can manage multiple supported arrays.

So, your plan is to have single vCenter / SRM for all three protected sites?

I can see several drawbacks in this scenario.

Michael.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As far as I know, you will need a SRA at each site. What storage vendor are you working with?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hmmm....

let's say i have 4 sites (A, B, C, D). Sites A, B, C are replicating to site D. All are using different Netapp arrays.

there's only one type of SRA for Netapp, so i would think i would only need 1 SRA to manage those arrays, and therefore get away with just 1 vCenter server/SRM for Sites A, B, and C. i know within SRM, you can add multiple Arrays in the "Array Manager"?

i'm trying get away from many-to-one srm scenario which will require a vcenter server instance.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, single SRA instance can manage multiple supported arrays.

So, your plan is to have single vCenter / SRM for all three protected sites?

I can see several drawbacks in this scenario.

Michael.

Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi michael,

that is the initial plan. yes, there are some drawbacks, but i'm not sure if they are really drawbacks. here are my thoughts so far...

scenario #1--are vcenter/srm and recovery plans affected when one recovery plan performs a failover?

:a particular site peforms a "disaster recovery", VMs are shut down at the protected site and starts up the recovery site

:vcenter/srm servers at protected site continue to run

:other recovery plans for the other sites (managed by that one vcenter/srm) are not affected

scenario #2--Two sites, each having their own recovery plan, can't undergo a recovery at the same time

:site A performs a DR scenario, Site B will have to wait until site A is finished

:can only run 1 recovery at a time?

:may also be a problem with multiple srm scenario

what other drawbacks do you see?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can run multiple (up to 10 with SRM 5.1) Recovery Plans simultaneously as long as they don't contain same Protection Group.

I can see certain complexity here:

Let's say you have vCenter/SRM VMs at site A and they manage/protect Sites B and C too.

1. When Site A goes down, sites B and C are unmanageable untill you bring those vCenter / SRM up at site D. If you have streched VLAN, this is relatively easy. But if you have to change vCenter and SRM IP addresses, this will require a lot of manual work.

2. If your vCenter / SRM VMs are protected, then you are not able to perform planned migration of recovery plan containing those VMs.

This will affect you in two cases:

Planned Migration of Site A to D

Failback from D to A.

As a workaround, you may put vCenter and SRM VMs on separate replicated LUN and failover / failback those VMs manually.

Michael.

Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great points, especially if Site A is hosting the vCenter/SRM server which leaves the other sites vulnerable if Site A were to go down.

0 Kudos