VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Running Recovery Plan

When you run a recovery plan for just a select number of VM's on a specific LUN will it have any adverse affects on the production site?  I want to run a live Run of the recovery plan on a small system so I am comfortable with the actual process, but don't want to mess up the production environment.  Iam running SRM4.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

if you run failover then it will shutdown the vm's it is about to recover i.e that are part of that plan, testfailover does NOT do that. obviously with testfailover the default network is a fenced network although you can specify your own "test" network portgroup(s) in the recovery plan, just make sure they don't route back to production site! Smiley Happy

the testfailover workflow is built to allow you to get the logic right in your recovery plan and run the test as many times as you need it to to ensure when you failover for real it works. Note that when we talk about failover and testfailover it is in the context of the recovery plan i.e the way you tell SRM which mode to execute the plan in is simply determined by the button you press...the red one (failover) or the green one (test....actually now a blue button in SRM 5). like everything in SRM you can of course control access to the red button with permissions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you talking about RUN (real failover) or TEST failover?

In case of real failover all the VMs that are part of Recovery Plan you are running and their respective LUNs will be impacted.

Michael.

0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would like to do a Run(real failover) for a few VM's to make sure I have the process down before I have to do a scheduled Run for everything.

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

if you run failover then it will shutdown the vm's it is about to recover i.e that are part of that plan, testfailover does NOT do that. obviously with testfailover the default network is a fenced network although you can specify your own "test" network portgroup(s) in the recovery plan, just make sure they don't route back to production site! Smiley Happy

the testfailover workflow is built to allow you to get the logic right in your recovery plan and run the test as many times as you need it to to ensure when you failover for real it works. Note that when we talk about failover and testfailover it is in the context of the recovery plan i.e the way you tell SRM which mode to execute the plan in is simply determined by the button you press...the red one (failover) or the green one (test....actually now a blue button in SRM 5). like everything in SRM you can of course control access to the red button with permissions.

0 Kudos