VMware Cloud Community
Applepie
Contributor
Contributor

Resignaturing questions

Dear all,

I have a question about resignaturing. Will a replicated lun in the recovery site allways be detected as a snapshot lun and therefore it wil need a resignature? Or does it depend on the storage vendor/replication method? And what I can imagine is that a test failover will use a snapshot of the recovery lun and thus needs to be resignatured. But what if you do an actual failover of the replicated lun? It won't use a snapshot I guess, so resignaturing is not needed?

And is there a possibility to do a test failover and not to use a snapshot of the replica, but actually break the replication and directly use the replicated lun? I thought I read about this somewhere.

So many questions, but such a nice product..

Cheers!

Applepie

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
gauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resignaturing is necessary at the remote site. At least I know it is with LeftHand SANs.

SRM does the resignaturing automatically, even if you have not explicitly enabled it on the ESX servers.

Adam Carter

Technical Product Manager

LeftHand Networks

Adam Carter Product Manager LeftHand Networks, an HP company
0 Kudos
system_ict
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer Adam. We are actually using two Lefthands for SRM and it works great. Maybe I will get back to you for specific Lefthand questions... I appreciate it very much that you participate in this forum.

0 Kudos
Dinges
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

oops..wrong account used..system.ict should be Applepie..

0 Kudos