VMware Cloud Community
Optic_Nerve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Replication - is it absolutely required?

Hi,

Does anyone know for sure whether replication (and therefore an SRA) is absolutely required to use SRM?

We have a backup process which uses VCB to take full backups of our VMs. The tapes are then sent to a DR site where the VMs are then restored to a VMware setup (Virtual Center, VI3.5 etc). So even though we are not replicating, the VMs we want to protect are already "in place" (albeit up to 24 hours old).

Our pain point is the reconfiguration of the VMs at the DR (IP subnets and that kind of thing). SRM seems to take care of all that nicely.

Essentially we'd like to use all the features of SRM only we'd like to be able to tell it to skip the replication side of things and for it to simply use the copies of the VMs that we are getting to our DR site "via other methods".

Is this possible?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DigitalVoodoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry - I posted the above reply from a different VMTN profile, and didn't realize it until I saw the post after submitting. D'oh! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
compunet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you do need to have array replication and a corresponding SRA installed for SRM to function. It would be great to see that change in a future release, but for now it is a prerequisite.

0 Kudos
DigitalVoodoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry - I posted the above reply from a different VMTN profile, and didn't realize it until I saw the post after submitting. D'oh! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos