VMware Cloud Community
Rabie
Contributor
Contributor

Renting SRM licenses for a once off site flip.

Hi,

We are looking into flipping our DR and Production site so we need to flip all the VM's not just the crticital ones that is normally protected by SRM as part of our DR recovery process.

Does anyone know if VMware has a rental model for SRM where one can rent X amount of licenses for the duration of the exercise to suppliment the licenses they have to complete the migration. I know some of the other vendors do offer something of the like but I have been unable to find anything and our local VMware representative seemed to think that they don't offer such a service. We would like to levarage the capabilities we have in our SAN and SRM to do this which is why are don't want to look at other solutions if we dont have to.

@VMware saleoppertunaty Smiley Happy

Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

There isn't a way to "rent" SRM licenses.

Since SRM is licensed per protected VM (or per socket for Cloud Suite Enterprise - not applicable here I'm pretty sure) you could look at doing your migration in 1 or more stages. Protect a group of VMs, test migrating them, migrate them then unprotect them and move onto the next batch.

If you are using all of your licenses now for your tier 1 VMs you could buy licenses for your tier 2 and use those to migrate tier 2, 3, 4... Then you'd end up with your systems migrated and enough licenses to protect your Tier 1 & 2 VMs.

Rabie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that was plan B, we were hoping to avoid doing it in batches, but it looks like plan B has become plan A Smiley Happy

0 Kudos