VMware Cloud Community
marknashe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Relocate DC using SRM?

Hi Folks,

Currently, my company has 2 datacenters. One in NY and one in MA. A decision has been made to close the MA data center and I have been tasked with getting the virtual environment moved over to the NY DC. While, I'd love just to physically move the ESXI hosts via UPS Smiley Happy , the other decision that was made was to add new esxi hosts to the NY dc. We will be upgrading the network link between the two sites.

My first thought and maybe a bad one, was to use Converter and try to V2V from one DC to the other. Now, I'm wondering if maybe SRM can do this? I know it's not the purpose for SRM, so maybe my assumption is far-fetched. If SRM can be used, can it just be with host replication? I'm not sure if array based replication is an option yet.

If I'm missing something and there is an easier way, please enlighten me Smiley Happy

Thanks

- MN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bucketenator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually as of vSphere 5.1, the SRM vSphere Replication feature has been broken out of SRM and is now bundled with vSphere (all license levels except Essentials) as a standalone feature.  So yes, marknashe can use the vSphere 5.1 Replication feature (assuming you're running vSphere 5.1?).   It also operates under the control of a single VC, and does not need 2 VC (one at each site) as is the case with SRM. What this approach lacks is the automation for the migration process, speed of migration, and a testing capability (but that might not be important in this particular circumstance), however it costs nothing and is a much better option than V2V-ing your VMs since downtime will be vastly reduced (VMs only need to be down for the final shutdown & incremental sync).

Secondly, SRM's planned migration workflow is designed to cater for exactly this use case of datacenter migration.  Several of my customers have used it for exactly this.   Originally VMware did not intend SRM to be used in such a way, but it turned out that about 1/3 of SRM customers were doing exactly that anyway.  So now VMware has blessed this particular use case with it's own workflow.  In fact, it' exactly the same as a failover, except the #1 priority is data integrity; if there are any problems in shutting down VMs at the live site or if there are final data sync issues (assuming async) then the workflow pauses to allow the issue to be addressed before continuing.

Investing in SRM is worthwhile if you plan to leverage in future for DR automation ... if not then vSphere 5.1 Replication might be good enough.

HTH,

JD

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

SRM is not EXACTLY intended to do this, but you can use the vSphere Replication feature to replicate the VMs to the other site without needing a SAN based replica. Regarding the AD machine, just be carefull because the virtual hardware can be changed on the replica VM (mac address, UUID, etc) - I don't believe this is the case with SRA, but just letting you know - for AD migrations I would recomend a BDC on the DR site and then elevate ir to PDC.

Marcelo Soares
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Oh, sorry, misunderstood the AD thing - thought that by DC you mean AD. But the information is good for your DC migration, anyway :smileygrin:

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You most cetainly can use SRM and VMware COnverter to migrate your environment from one location to another - The diefference will be in the amount of time it will take and the cost - with Converter the data will have to be copied over and the a final suncronization is performed and you will cut the machine with SRM this is called a "planned migration" you set up th replication between the sites and when the data is in synch you then failover - ths cost difference is with Converter it is free while with SRM you will have to pay the license fees - which is fine if you plane to coninue to continue to use SRM to protect your primary site.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
marknashe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Marcelo - thanks. Sorry, I should have wrote out data center, not to confuse it with a domain controller haha. The domain controller is probably the only VM that we won't move. Just have to move the FSMO roles

weinstein5 - Exactly what I was thinking. Just seems more painless to me to use SRM. However, if I upgrade to vSphere 5.1, I can just use the vSphere Replication that is built in, at no cost, correct? After the planned migration, how involved is it to tell SRM or vSphere Replication that this is now the primary side and the other side no longer exists?

Sorry for the wording. I'm not too familiar with the SRM product and have yet to try vSphere Replication

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is my undrstanding that vSphere replication is a component of SRM not vSphere 5.1 - I think you are confusing that with vSphere Storage Appliance(http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/vsphere-storage-appliance/overview....) which allows you to use the local storage of an ESXi host share it between ESXi hosts so you can implement DRS, HA and vMotion etc wuthout the cost of a SAN -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Bucketenator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually as of vSphere 5.1, the SRM vSphere Replication feature has been broken out of SRM and is now bundled with vSphere (all license levels except Essentials) as a standalone feature.  So yes, marknashe can use the vSphere 5.1 Replication feature (assuming you're running vSphere 5.1?).   It also operates under the control of a single VC, and does not need 2 VC (one at each site) as is the case with SRM. What this approach lacks is the automation for the migration process, speed of migration, and a testing capability (but that might not be important in this particular circumstance), however it costs nothing and is a much better option than V2V-ing your VMs since downtime will be vastly reduced (VMs only need to be down for the final shutdown & incremental sync).

Secondly, SRM's planned migration workflow is designed to cater for exactly this use case of datacenter migration.  Several of my customers have used it for exactly this.   Originally VMware did not intend SRM to be used in such a way, but it turned out that about 1/3 of SRM customers were doing exactly that anyway.  So now VMware has blessed this particular use case with it's own workflow.  In fact, it' exactly the same as a failover, except the #1 priority is data integrity; if there are any problems in shutting down VMs at the live site or if there are final data sync issues (assuming async) then the workflow pauses to allow the issue to be addressed before continuing.

Investing in SRM is worthwhile if you plan to leverage in future for DR automation ... if not then vSphere 5.1 Replication might be good enough.

HTH,

JD

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks - I love it when I learn something new!

0 Kudos
marknashe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bucketenator, exactly. I was planning to upgrade to 5.1 prior to doing any of this.

I've been in favor of exploring SRM for some time now. Maybe, this will be my way of getting it approved.

Thanks again everyone

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please note that vSphere Replication cannot replicate RDMs in physical compatibility mode.

Michael.

0 Kudos